This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A trip down memory lane

The jumping jacks were placed on the ground and when lit would jump into the air, fall back onto the ground then jump into the air again. They also had a tendency to move horizontally as well. Haven't seen any in the shops for decades.

I remember Blue Peter and Magpie would give a warning just prior to Bonfire Night to be sensible with fireworks. Blue Peter would also remind kids to check bonfires to make sure there were no hedgehogs hiding inside.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post

I remember Blue Peter and Magpie would give a warning just prior to Bonfire Night to be sensible with fireworks. Blue Peter would also remind kids to check bonfires to make sure there were no hedgehogs hiding inside.
      Blue Peter Firework Code rule: Keep Shep and Goldie (i.e. pets) indoors.

And don't have too much Coke (a 1998 joke there methinks...)
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Ok so it is now 15th october and already i am hearing fireworks at night, seems everything is starting sooner and sooner. We now have christmas cards, fireworks and pumpkins all on sale at the same time!...bring on the hot cross buns.
        Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

TRICK OR TREAT/PENNY FOR THE GUY?
          C'mon, you know you did it right? Knocking on doors hand outstretched for sweets or even better cash! It was of course legalised blackmail, give us some swizzels or the car gets it (perhaps that was just in Salford).Also stuffing old newspapers into some old clothes and using a balloon for a head, "penny for the guy mister?" sitting outside the local boozer like some modern day Oliver twist. great days indeed!!

Comment

Back in the 1980s I don't recall Christmas starting in the shops back in September or October - adverts on television certainly didn't kick in until just over a month until the big day.

Now we are in October I believe that Argos and Boots have their Christmas catalogues out just like in recent years, and last year Clintons had their Christmas card boxes on display in September! I took advantage to buy a dozen boxes that I have still got in the cupboard in the other room!

Christmas is all year round in a way for those pay installments for their hampers, or those who book tickets for the pantomime almost a year before the curtain goes up.
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Same thing happens here in OZ George. This thred should be rocking come Christmas time.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                TRICK OR TREAT/PENNY FOR THE GUY?
                C'mon, you know you did it right? Knocking on doors hand outstretched for sweets or even better cash! It was of course legalised blackmail, give us some swizzels or the car gets it (perhaps that was just in Salford).Also stuffing old newspapers into some old clothes and using a balloon for a head, "penny for the guy mister?" sitting outside the local boozer like some modern day Oliver twist. great days indeed!!
                It always irks me that people have this wrong, the idea is that the householder is supposed to either play a trick on you or give you a treat, not the "blackmail" way that people seem to think. I think the perfect answer to both is frozen grapes in boiled sweet wrappers.

As for Xmas, yeah, it would be unheard of to have xmas stuff in the shops before december! Just as we always only had "January Sales", that would sometimes start on Boxing Day. I remember saving all my birthday and xmas money for the sales to go and buy the Atari VCS games that were reduced then as a kid, still have them.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                  Ok so it is now 15th october and already i am hearing fireworks at night, seems everything is starting sooner and sooner. We now have christmas cards, fireworks and pumpkins all on sale at the same time!...bring on the hot cross buns.
                  They should change the law to fireworks on 5th November only ( plus New Years Eve) .. then no decorations or adverts for Christmas until the 1st day of December .

Sorted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                    They should change the law to fireworks on 5th November only ( plus New Years Eve) .. then no decorations or adverts for Christmas until the 1st day of December .

Sorted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    seconded

Comment

Any ideas for another subject fellars?

Comment

YOUTH CLUBS AS A KID.
                        So who joined a youth club when they were young?..Pretty much a thing of the past these days youth clubs were primarily a way of keeping kids off the streets and out of trouble. mainly a product of the 70s/80s there are few if any remaining probably because kids rarely leave there bedrooms.
                        I was more into making my own fun and getting up to mischief than being monitored by the well meaning volunteers that ran these establishments, i did join one in the early 70s but it was more about education than having fun with art classes and joinery type activities, i quit pretty soon after and joined the Boys brigade which was cool and which taught discipline and respect at an early age....plus had a cool uniform

Comment

I never went to a regular "youth Club" but had popped into a couple of different ones as a teen. I remember one in a church hall that had Pong machines set up on TVs to play and a pool table. There was a tuck shop too. That might have been a Boy's Brigade one as it was in the hall attached to the church where I went to Anchor Boys and Boy's Brigade as a younger kid (i'd stopped going by my teens). TBH the best thing about those were that my parents would take us to the newsagent round the corner after and we'd get sweets, I remember getting some Kojak Chewing gum and stickers there. Later on i recall going in there and buying some of those computer magazines which just contained games listings and you typed the (usually incorrect) code in yourself, although some also had a tape on the front with the games pre-coded.
                          Last edited by Mulletino; 18-10-2018, 02:48.

Comment

Ditto I never went to one of these youth clubs. I was an Eagle Scout for a year tho. You know "be prepared" and all that. Enjoyed going into the bush and doing assorted bush survival things. I was also a Military Cadet in my last 2 years of high school. This was great fun. Dressing up like a soldier , having parades and the like. Reckon the other kids looked up to us Cadets. The best part was the weekend "bivouacs". These were tantamount to army games..where we camped out and conducted small battles between each other.

Comment

Back in the mid 1990s I was thinking of going to a Youth Club a few miles away from where I lived in order to help increase my social skills (and perhaps, even optimistically even get a girlfriend if I played my cards right) at the age of around 17-18, but alas, my social phobia got the better of me and over 20 years on, I have felt the brunt of my difficulties even now - I did feel like a gatecrasher to be honest with no reason to be there. I still feel like that now - I don't need to mention the two unsuccessful stints that I had with going Speed Dating in the last few years in order to give an example of that.
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                                Back in the mid 1990s I was thinking of going to a Youth Club a few miles away from where I lived in order to help increase my social skills (and perhaps, even optimistically even get a girlfriend if I played my cards right) at the age of around 17-18, but alas, my social phobia got the better of me and over 20 years on, I have felt the brunt of my difficulties even now - I did feel like a gatecrasher to be honest with no reason to be there. I still feel like that now - I don't need to mention the two unsuccessful stints that I had with going Speed Dating in the last few years in order to give an example of that.
                                George have you ever tried self confidence classes? I cant advise for or against them as i have no experience of them, however i can't see what harm it might do. I have had this conversation with my son who actually chooses to have no friends or a girlfriend and is happy in his own company. He is intelligent and not at all withdrawn but simply chooses not to mix with others so i guess this might be social phobia as you like to describe it, he will happily interact on facebook or by text but will always avoid face to face encounters where possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X