X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A trip down memory lane

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
    If writing keeps you occupied then surely that makes it an occupation?
    There are differences between occupations and hobbies - I would hardly say that Jimmy Tarbuck or the late Sir Bruce Forsyth were just as much golfers as Nick Faldo is for example - there are those who do it for a living, and those who do it as a hobby. I wouldn't even say that Tommy Cooper was a magician as much as Paul Daniels was, and so on.

Point taken though.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
      I had a new topic come to mind while lying in bed trying to get some sleep. I have suffered from Insomnia for much of my life. It can be a curse.

Where did you learn to swim. This was where I took my first strokes under the tutilage of my father. This beautiful place was almost in the country when I was a kid. Today I live no more than 5km from it.

This is how the area looks today after the weir was decommissioned in 1982 and a dam built.
      Nothing so exotic for me - local baths, with school or my brother unable to resist the urge to scare me witless by dragging me under when I wasn't ready!
      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Here...Regent road swimming pool, Salford, probably aged about 10. victorian built complete with wall to wall cockroaches high on the whiff of carbolic
        Attached Files
        Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

I actually became quite an accomplished swimmer at school and was regularly chosen as part of the school team, i favoured freestyle or "the crawl" as it was known.
          Swimming was compulsory and part of the curriculum and i really enjoyed it, there were four levels of achievement third class, second class, first class and advanced, you would get a certificate for passing each level

Comment

We got swimming lessons at junior school at our local baths and I learned to swim there. I say local but it wasn't that near, but the closest at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
              I actually became quite an accomplished swimmer at school and was regularly chosen as part of the school team, i favoured freestyle or "the crawl" as it was known.
              Swimming was compulsory and part of the curriculum and i really enjoyed it, there were four levels of achievement third class, second class, first class and advanced, you would get a certificate for passing each level
              Wou are aware the "crawl" is short for the Australia Crawl swimming style first used professionally by the Australian champion swimmer, Richmond "Dick" Cavill and later perfected and popularised by another Aussie swim champ /film siren Annette Kellerman. (below)

Comment

Wou are aware the "crawl" is short for the Australia Crawl swimming style first used professionally by the Australian champion swimmer, Richmond "Dick" Cavill and later perfected and popularised by another Aussie swim champ /film siren Annette Kellerman. (below)
                The Cavil family sure liked to swim, 6 members of the family in the swimmers hall of fame!....have to say i diden't know such a thing existed

Comment

Anything to do with these herberts?
                  Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

As I mentioned about writing as a hobby or occupation a few days ago and being published - today I received an email saying that they are interested in publishing some material that I sent to them last week. I don't know whether they are straight up or not as I have not had any luck at all in this sort of thing - it is a bona fide publishing company based in London.

For some reason I feel that I need to be cautious about this as I know what it feels like to be set up only to be knocked back down again - I have assumed that nothing like this would happen to someone like myself.
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                      Anything to do with these herberts?
                      Obviously where the name came from. They had a one or two hits in their day.

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                        As I mentioned about writing as a hobby or occupation a few days ago and being published - today I received an email saying that they are interested in publishing some material that I sent to them last week. I don't know whether they are straight up or not as I have not had any luck at all in this sort of thing - it is a bona fide publishing company based in London.

For some reason I feel that I need to be cautious about this as I know what it feels like to be set up only to be knocked back down again - I have assumed that nothing like this would happen to someone like myself.
                        Good for you George. You must be thrilled. Fill us in on the plot?

Comment

Well, it's about archive television, choosing patterns of dates throughout the different decades - I am certain that members on here would be interested in it, but as I say, from a publishing perspective it is in its very embryonic stages. If there is any development, I might keep members posted on here.

It's a bit of an anorak thing to do - I have just have access to the Times and UK Press Online websites and to the old TV guide pages. I study them and write about them using a pattern of dates in the past if any of that makes any sense.
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                            Well, it's about archive television, choosing patterns of dates throughout the different decades - I am certain that members on here would be interested in it, but as I say, from a publishing perspective it is in its very embryonic stages. If there is any development, I might keep members posted on here.

It's a bit of an anorak thing to do - I have just have access to the Times and UK Press Online websites and to the old TV guide pages. I study them and write about them using a pattern of dates in the past if any of that makes any sense.
                            Sounds interesting, good luck with that George...but dont send them any money!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                              Sounds interesting, good luck with that George...but dont send them any money!
                              Thanks for the advice, Tex. I know from the past that so-called "companies" seem to make money disappear, and the police often say that it is not theft.
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Anyone remember these microcomputers from the late 70s through 80s?

Sinclair zx80
                                Sinclair zx81
                                Sinclair Spectrum
                                Commodore Vic20
                                Commodore C64
                                Atari 400/800 and successors
                                Acorn Electron
                                BBC Micro
                                Oric
                                Jupiter Ace
                                Texas Instruments TI99/4a
                                TRS80
                                Dragon 32
                                Amstrad CPC464 and successors
                                Atari ST
                                Commodore Amiga

The Atari ST and Commodore Amiga had built in disc drives, as did some later Spectrums and possibly Amstrads. Most loaded and saved programs from cassette tape. Remember that wait while the tape loaded your game into the micro's memory? Although it was not so convenient as a floppy disc or a game on a cartridge, tape based games were far cheaper so very large quantities were sold. I remember tape games costing £9.99 when brand new in the 80s, but after a year or so that would drop dramatically. Also, companies like Code Masters sold games for £1.99 and I had dozens of them. £9.99 games would also be re-released after a while in a smaller box at £1.99 or £2.99. Computer magazines almost always had a tape stuck to their covers--often a demo of a game or sometimes a complete game. I remember being so excited when I read in a Commodore mag that there would be a demo tape of Operation Wolf on next month's cover, and I made sure I got my copy the day the mag was published. Of course, these games from the 8-bit era--16-bit for Amiga and ST--can't live with modern games graphics and sound quality, but it is ultimately gameplay that makes someone keep wanting to play a game, not graphics and sound, and those old micros had some really great games that made you want to play and play.

Just for the record, I had at one time or another the following...

Sinclair ZX81
                                Atari 400 and 130XE
                                Commodore 128 and Amiga
                                Acorn Electron

Comment

Working...
                                X