X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A trip down memory lane

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
    They've pretty much tore down much of my old high school and are building an entirely new campus in its place.
    This school was built by the mysterious Masons.. so it was built to last. Pity as it was a strict, draconian establishment that stunted your growth (not literally) and kept me from having a happy childhood. I have a rare video of my boarding school. Wanna see it anyone? I am fairly sure there is a scene where myself and my older brother appear.

Comment

Here is that vid I spoke of for those interested. Taken in the mid 60s I am guessing.
      https://youtu.be/SWiQA0OvKX8

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
        Here is that vid I spoke of for those interested. Taken in the mid 60s I am guessing.
        https://youtu.be/SWiQA0OvKX8
        Lot of history right there Donald, a million miles away from the scruffy hell hole i attended.
        Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
          Lot of history right there Donald, a million miles away from the scruffy hell hole i attended.
          \
          Dont let appearances deceive tex. This too was a hell hole.. albeit an oppulent one. The word draconian was invented in establishments such as these. You saw the sports day in the clip.. that my friend was the only organised sporting event run by the school. The rest we had to improvise as there were no actual sporting grounds. We made our own.. If we wanted to play rugger or cricket we had to remove the cow c*** first. We were not allowed to buy any lollies or other goodies. If you sneaked out to the shops you were put on heavy detention.. a second time and you were expelled. Instant expulsion if you were more than a day awol. We were allowed a whole hour of weeknite television and two hrs on weekends. The food we were made to stomach was neither tasty nor nutritional. eg. the soup.. we called 'dishwater" actually had weavils floating in it. We had an egg a week and toast only twice a week. We were marched 5 klm to church every Sunday regardless of weather. Mate I could write a book on that place.

Comment

\
            Dont let appearances deceive tex. This too was a hell hole.. albeit an oppulent one. The word draconian was invented in establishments such as these. You saw the sports day in the clip.. that my friend was the only organised sporting event run by the school. The rest we had to improvise as there were no actual sporting grounds. We made our own.. If we wanted to play rugger or cricket we had to remove the cow c*** first. We were not allowed to buy any lollies or other goodies. If you sneaked out to the shops you were put on heavy detention.. a second time and you were expelled. Instant expulsion if you were more than a day awol. We were allowed a whole hour of weeknite television and two hrs on weekends. The food we were made to stomach was neither tasty nor nutritional. eg. the soup.. we called 'dishwater" actually had weavils floating in it. We had an egg a week and toast only twice a week. We were marched 5 klm to church every Sunday regardless of weather. Mate I could write a book on that place.
            Wow, sounds awful, Many would say character building but i expect you see it differently, sounds like a concentration camp

Comment

Roald Dahl mentions a few horror stories in Boy of his time at St Peter's School in Weston Super Mare. It got so bad he faked having appendicitis to be sent home.

Later on he learnt the ropes & went to Repton school without so many problems, but was considered a maverick there.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

\
                Sounds almost Dickensian.

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
                  Sounds almost Dickensian.
                  Yes it does..except it existed in the 20th Century.

Comment

The only decent meal we had a year was roast turkey at Easter. So strict were they that they had you polishing floors constanly for any petty misdemeanor. There were occasions when you missed seeing family if the job was not done to their satisfaction. Smoking or any other serious crime was dealt with by six cuts on the bare bum. Also bullying was frowned upon..the bully copping four cuts. I can tell you first hand that those welts hurt for at least two weeks

Comment

The only decent meal we had a year was roast turkey at Easter. So strict were they that they had you polishing floors constanly for any petty misdemeanor. There were occasions when you missed seeing family if the job was not done to their satisfaction. Smoking or any other serious crime was dealt with by six cuts on the bare bum. Also bullying was frowned upon..the bully copping four cuts. I can tell you first hand that those welts hurt for at least two weeks
                      Sounds dreadful, if we were caught wrong doing we would get the cane across the fingers, usually "three of the best". Teacher would aim for the tips where it hurt the most,

Comment

This trip down memory lane got a little depressing, change of subject...WHO'S TURNING INTO THERE PARENTS?
                        I think as kids most of us probably saw our parents as old people with old attitudes and principals, we probably thought "i hope i never get like that" but ofcourse as you get older and more mature you start to appreciate the wisdom imparted by your elders and in particular your parents.
                        So who finds themselves saying something and then immediately thinking jeez i'm turning into my dad, are you a "modern parent" who is down with the kids or have you become the stick in the mud that you used to despise? i guess just by being on this forum we are displaying the kind of victorian attitudes we may of percieved our parents to have.
                        I guess its human nature to hanker after the good ole days but were they really better times or just different times, my dad died 20 years ago and he was really old fashioned, i often wonder what he would make of the world today just twenty years later with the advent of the internet, mobile phones etc which seem to have replaced genuine interaction.
                        I listen to myself sometimes and the influence my dad had on me is clear but less so with my mam

Comment

Its health and safety gone ott compared to when we grew up.

Falling and grazing your knees and elbows on the hard stony ground was part of growing up.

Going the metal slides and if it was a hot day the slide would be roasting hot.

When you fell off and hurt yourself no one thought of suing this person or that person

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                          something that neatly illustrates the difference between previous generations and today is play equipment in parks. It used to be that it was just constructed on bare concrete, now it is constructed on that soft, slightly springy material, just in case one of the children fall over. Also, at our local park, the play equipment is now fenced off and you have to go through a gate to access it to keep dogs away.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                            This trip down memory lane got a little depressing, change of subject...WHO'S TURNING INTO THERE PARENTS?
                            I think as kids most of us probably saw our parents as old people with old attitudes and principals, we probably thought "i hope i never get like that" but ofcourse as you get older and more mature you start to appreciate the wisdom imparted by your elders and in particular your parents.
                            So who finds themselves saying something and then immediately thinking jeez i'm turning into my dad, are you a "modern parent" who is down with the kids or have you become the stick in the mud that you used to despise? i guess just by being on this forum we are displaying the kind of victorian attitudes we may of percieved our parents to have.
                            I guess its human nature to hanker after the good ole days but were they really better times or just different times, my dad died 20 years ago and he was really old fashioned, i often wonder what he would make of the world today just twenty years later with the advent of the internet, mobile phones etc which seem to have replaced genuine interaction.
                            I listen to myself sometimes and the influence my dad had on me is clear but less so with my mam
                            That is a hard question for me. I lost my dad before I was 7 so I can not say he influenced me in anything thruout my life. My mother was a conservative stick in the mud woman.. again I was not influenced by her. There are sereral sayings tho that stick in my mind from my mum.. like "go and suck the mop" that is when she wanted me out of her sight. Others were "think I'll go and eat worms" that is something she said when she did not think we loved her. When I asked her where something was that she did not know. she would reply "up in Annies room". No idea who Annie was. If I was pestering her about dinner. "pigs bum and cabbage" was her reply. I find myself uttering these sayings to my family now.
                            Last edited by Donald the Great; 23-09-2018, 02:16.

Comment

I have my dad's (lack of) hair... <--- self-portrait
                              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Who ever played doctors and nurses? A wonderfully innocent introduction to the opposite sex.

Your first dog.

Your first kiss.

A few subjects we can ponder here fellars.

Comment

Working...
                                X