X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A trip down memory lane

Originally posted by tex View Post
    1977 my dad taught me to drive in his Morris minor, i passed my test in the same car and as a gift my dad gave me the car, wish i still had it. I sold it for £150
    My dad has nearly finished restoring his 1953 Split Screen Series MM Morris Minor which was our family car as a kid. I got to sit in it when we visited last month, my eldest son got to sit in it too which meant a lot to me.
    We went to Vange Zoo in it once in the late 70s, four adults and five kids, the bloke on the ticket gate couldn't believe it when we all piled out.

Comment

I learned to drive via my dad taking me out in his 1968 Ford Corsair 2000E and driving lessons with an instructor in a 1978 Triumph Dolomite--a 1300 so sadly not a Sprint. My instructor had a radio cassette fitted and would play tapes of Jasper Carrott, so we would both be laughing at Jasper's jokes during the lessons.

Comment

Coogee thats smelly seaweed, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
          tex this will give you a clear idea of the steepness of the street.

Bloody hell! 1:1?
          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
            My dad has nearly finished restoring his 1953 Split Screen Series MM Morris Minor which was our family car as a kid. I got to sit in it when we visited last month, my eldest son got to sit in it too which meant a lot to me.
            We went to Vange Zoo in it once in the late 70s, four adults and five kids, the bloke on the ticket gate couldn't believe it when we all piled out.
            How the hell did you get nine people in a Morris minor...thats hillarious! , mine had indicators that popped up from the wings and a starting handle just in case you couldn't start it conventionally so to speak.It was very easy to flood the carburetor if you got a little eager with the manual pull out choke.
            Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
              I learned to drive via my dad taking me out in his 1968 Ford Corsair 2000E and driving lessons with an instructor in a 1978 Triumph Dolomite--a 1300 so sadly not a Sprint. My instructor had a radio cassette fitted and would play tapes of Jasper Carrott, so we would both be laughing at Jasper's jokes during the lessons.
              Yes Jasper was funny in 78, so was Billy connolly and Mike harding.....How times have changed, funky moped indeed!
              Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Wasn't it Mike Harding who had a song called 'It's Hard being a Cowboy in Rochdale'? With lines like 'The spurs don't fit right on me clogs' and'People laugh when I ride past on our alsatian dog'.

Comment

Good to see you here staffslad.

Comment

How the hell did you get nine people in a Morris minor...thats hillarious! , mine had indicators that popped up from the wings and a starting handle just in case you couldn't start it conventionally so to speak.It was very easy to flood the carburetor if you got a little eager with the manual pull out choke.
                    It was a slight squeeze.

Mu dad's has the pop out trafficators and split front bumper with a starting handle. They were original parts he was adamant on keeping in his restoration.

Comment

Re getting lots of people in cars....Back in the 60s and 70s it was common for kids to sit on adults laps in cars, in the back of estate cars and in footwells. Seatbelt laws put a stop to all that.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                        Re getting lots of people in cars....Back in the 60s and 70s it was common for kids to sit on adults laps in cars, in the back of estate cars and in footwells. Seatbelt laws put a stop to all that.
                        Or riding in the back of a pickup truck -- fun times!

Comment

Good to see you here VB. This thread is really taking off now. Enjoy everyone.

Comment

Yes Jasper was funny in 78, so was Billy connolly and Mike harding.....How times have changed, funky moped indeed!
                            I never really 'got' Mike Harding even though he was a local lad ..

Now Jasper Carrott was hilarious..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
                              Or riding in the back of a pickup truck -- fun times!
                              I did all that often as my uncle had one and we cousins were often forced to ride in back as no room in the front. Did you know that the utility was first designed and built in OZ?

Comment

Did you have drive ins in the UK?

Comment

Working...
                                X