This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A trip down memory lane

Dandelion and Burdock was a staple of my childhood. It gradually seemed to disappear in favour of colas and other soft drinks, but happily is still available for its fans if you look round. Never considered it, but I suppose it is something of an unknown quantity outside the British Isles.

Having extensive woodland on the doorstep, my mates and I would build dens as deep inside the forest as possible to reduce the likelihood of them being found. We would spend hours there, using them as bases from which to explore the surrounding areas. That deep in the forest, we would occasionally spot deer, foxes, rabbits and other animals, though with the noise we would make, most would give us a wide berth.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
      I live close to some woodlands in Worsley, families used to go there in droves walking dogs, kids climbing trees and collecting conkers. I went myself a few months ago and i was the only person there. Seems the woods are now a haven for junkies and underage drinkers so people are staying away.
      Perhaps since the advent of the internet people no longer need to go into the woods to find old jazz mags?

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
        Dandelion and Burdock was a staple of my childhood. It gradually seemed to disappear in favour of colas and other soft drinks, but happily is still available for its fans if you look round. Never considered it, but I suppose it is something of an unknown quantity outside the British Isles.

Having extensive woodland on the doorstep, my mates and I would build dens as deep inside the forest as possible to reduce the likelihood of them being found. We would spend hours there, using them as bases from which to explore the surrounding areas. That deep in the forest, we would occasionally spot deer, foxes, rabbits and other animals, though with the noise we would make, most would give us a wide berth.
        My mum once told me she used to drink that when she was a girl. I tried it once and it tasted like used chewing gum!
        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
          My mum once told me she used to drink that when she was a girl. I tried it once and it tasted like used chewing gum!
          That wasn't proper Dandelion and Burdock then

Sounds more like Cream Soda ... another dreamy tasting drink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post

Sounds idyllic staffslad.

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
              That wasn't proper Dandelion and Burdock then

Sounds more like Cream Soda ... another dreamy tasting drink

Ugh!
              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Ugh!
                I'm sensing you have a savoury palate ...

Comment

Hmmm Cresta Cream Soda from the milkman with a scoop of vanilla ice cream in! Summer greatness right there!

Comment

Yes, a scoop of ice cream but I would put it in cola or lemonade. Not really a big lover of Cream Soda but if it was there I would drink it, but not my first drink of choice.

Comment

who remembers sasaparila?
                      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                        who remembers sasaparila?

I remember it, but I can't think that my mum bought it very often. Haven't seen it in a long time.

Comment

Ugh!
                          My thoughts exactly.
                          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

You can get sarsaparilla from some supermarkets but it's normally a bit expensive.

Root beer is another traditional soft drink that's an acquired taste.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Wow I love dandelion and burdock and cream soda. D&B is basically liquorice flavour and CS is vanilla flavour to me. Ice cream goes in lemonade though and nothing else! I can’t remember ever having sarsaparilla as a kid. I did try it a couple of years ago but wasn’t that impressed. It tasted milder than I was expecting it to.
                              1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                                Wow I love dandelion and burdock and cream soda. D&B is basically liquorice flavour and CS is vanilla flavour to me. Ice cream goes in lemonade though and nothing else! I can’t remember ever having sarsaparilla as a kid. I did try it a couple of years ago but wasn’t that impressed. It tasted milder than I was expecting it to.
                                I had Sarsaparilla once , one mouthful . That was enough

Comment

Working...
                                X