Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: A trip down memory lane

Default Re: A trip down memory lane

BONFIRE NIGHT.
    So its almost november 5th again (bonfire night) do you / did you ever celebrate bonfire night or guy faulkes night as it is sometimes known?
    Although i dont celebrate bonfire night anymore i have fond memories of it as a young kid in Salford, there were few if any organised events in the 60s/70s and we would build our own bonfires on the nearest piece of wasteland or even in the back entry behind the back to back terraced houses that i grew up in. As always in those days there was absolutely no fear of the dangers involved, we would go door to door asking for any unwanted wood such as old floorboards, doors or furniture which were used to build the bonfire, soon as it went dark we would stuff the bonfire with old newspapers and light it, soon as the fire was raging an effigy of guy faulkes was thrown on the blazing fire, we would stand around it roasting potatoes and for some reason black eyed peas?.
    Also toffee apples and treacle toffee were traditionally consumed in large quantities...then out came the fireworks!........
    The meek shall inherit the earth

Fireworks, the highlight of bonfire night for any young kid, its been a long time since i bought fireworks but the ones i remember best were normally bought in a selection box which contained (as we called them) pinwheels,roman candles,air bombs,helicopters, rockets, ripraps and a selection of fountains. Bangers and sparklers were sold seperately and eventually bangers were withdrawn from sale because people (me)would throw them,ripraps were also withdrawn because of there erratic behaviour and helicopters also were withdrawn because they went up at any angle usually into somebodys face

I remember matches which burned with a red flame and bangers - not seen either for a while, I guess bangers were banned...
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by zabadak View Post
    I remember matches which burned with a red flame and bangers - not seen either for a while, I guess bangers were banned...
    The matches were called Bengal matches

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    BONFIRE NIGHT.
    So its almost november 5th again (bonfire night) do you / did you ever celebrate bonfire night or guy faulkes night as it is sometimes known?
    Although i dont celebrate bonfire night anymore i have fond memories of it as a young kid in Salford, there were few if any organised events in the 60s/70s and we would build our own bonfires on the nearest piece of wasteland or even in the back entry behind the back to back terraced houses that i grew up in. As always in those days there was absolutely no fear of the dangers involved, we would go door to door asking for any unwanted wood such as old floorboards, doors or furniture which were used to build the bonfire, soon as it went dark we would stuff the bonfire with old newspapers and light it, soon as the fire was raging an effigy of guy faulkes was thrown on the blazing fire, we would stand around it roasting potatoes and for some reason black eyed peas?.
    Also toffee apples and treacle toffee were traditionally consumed in large quantities...then out came the fireworks!........
    My English friend tells me you still celebrate Guy Fawkes Nite or Bonfire Nite. I can recall Bonfire Nite like it was yesterday. Every kid in my small village/town looked forward to it. A day before the great day we kids collected all old wooden disused or broken items and put them in the designated bonfire reserve. Our dads would visit the local store and stock up on the fireworks. There was great anticipation as the hours counted down to the liting up the huge pile of wooden debris.

" Now stand well back from the flames" Mum would tell us boys. Then our dads lit the first of the skyrockets and we watched them flash into the nite sky and explode into their wonderfull colors. Meanwhile on the ground the Catherine Wheels, Horsetails, Roman Candles and Fountains sprung into wonderful life. The larrikan older boys would lite crackers and throw them at each other while we "angels" would enjoy ourselves with a sparkler. When the the flames were at their greatest one of the dads would toss a large paper mache of Guy Fawkes onto the fire to the accompaniment of much cheering and wooping. Then as the nite wore on the flames would dissipate and the last of the fireworks were lit. " Time to go home now boys" Mum would say. That was Bonfire Nite over for another year.

Why Australia stopped having this annual slice of tradition and nostalgia I do not know. Probably the do gooders lobbied to have it banned as they deemed it a danger. Will have to research it.
    Last edited by Donald the Great; 1 Week Ago at 00:47.

The matches were called Bengal matches
    Ooh, are they still available?
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by zabadak View Post
    Ooh, are they still available?
    No, again responsible for a lot of burns and eventually banned

Jumping Jacks were also a favourite when I was growing up, but I don't think they have been sold for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    Jumping Jacks were also a favourite when I was growing up, but I don't think they have been sold for many years.
    These were what we called ripraps are they the same as jumping jacks staffslad?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails riprap.jpg  

No, again responsible for a lot of burns and eventually banned
    On e bay......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bengal.jpg