Pocket Calculators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pocket Calculators

I had a Casio with green numbers. It wasn't too thin but and didn't have any scientific stuff on it but it was a nice calculator and lasted me many years. Don't know where it went but it'd be nice to find it again.

The one I always coveted, though was owned by a school friend in about '76 -'77 and was one of the early Sinclair calculators. It was very small and black with a tiny purple LED display and came in a hard case. I still browse eBay every now and again for one.

Comment

This is the one we had. we had 2 of them

Comment

Originally posted by yelever View Post
        This is the one we had. we had 2 of them

That's the one!
        I'm going to have to go on a hunt for it now.

Comment

Originally posted by diggermac View Post
          My mate had one with a game on it. A line of numbers scrolled across the screen, and you had to push the number to zap it. hours of fun...

There was a kid at my school in the late 70s with a digital watch that had that game on it if I remember correctly.

The first calculator I ever saw belonged to a nasty kid in my class. I used to hide the thing every time he left it unattended by dropping it down behind the pigeonhole unit where we left our books and stuff at breaktimes.

Comment

Now got my one sitting on my desk next to me. Just spelt 'boobies' out on it

Comment

Boots 224 Memory (Type 1)

Read more here.
              Please don't tell anybody
              that we're the real Duran Duran!
              We're just happy pretending
              to be our own greatest fans...

( Mitch Benn)

Comment

I got one about 1976 while serving my apprenticeship.

Cost £28 which was about a weeks pay for me then, Texas Instruments thing that used up four AA batteries in a fortnight and it came with a belt pouch ( which I never had the nerve to actually use ) so you could walk around wth it fastened to your jeans

Comment

Originally posted by ZipperCat View Post
                  Boots 224 Memory (Type 1)

Read more here.
                  My dad had a Scientific Boots calculator in a zip up vinyl case.

There wern't too many fancy features, things like Pi & exponential figures.

It stopped working years ago but he might still have it around.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I can remember getting a calculator for Christmas in 1977. It was a Sharp, it had a red LED display. It takes a 9V battery and believe it or not, it still works perfectly now, and I still use it to this day. 33 years old and its still working

Here's a picture of it, mine is exactly the same, but with a red display rather than a green display.
                    http://www.vintagecalculators.com/SharpEL105_1.jpg
                    Oh to be a kid again with a can of Top Deck on a hot summer day, now that would be good.

Comment

Here's my dad's Brother 408AD. It's older than me and still better at maths. He uses it all the time!

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2945.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	259819
                      1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                        Here's my dad's Brother 408AD. It's older than me and still better at maths. He uses it all the time!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2965[/ATTACH]
                        hi tricky ive got that very same one lying around somewhere.

love those ones where the numbers are florescent.
                        you could see your way home on a dar night with them.
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I still have 2 calculators from 1977 and they still work perfectly fine, that's what I call built to last

Here they are:

Oh to be a kid again with a can of Top Deck on a hot summer day, now that would be good.

Comment

Sears Electronic Slide Rule II
                            I fired it up recently and it still works great!

Comment

I badgered my parents to buy me a pocket calculator for my birthday in 1976. There was one in my mom's catalogue, but I don't remember its price. It was a Texas Instruments with red LED display. It had to be charged up--it came with rechargeable batteries I think. It had no memory keys and just did the basic 4 operations plus there was a % key.

When I started college in late 1978 I needed a scientific calculator and in just 2 years the difference between that TI calculator and a Casio with green LED display was staggering.

Comment

IS THIS THE ONE YOU MEAN.

I CAN IMAGINE IT WOULD HAVE BEEN FAIRLY EXPENSIVE.

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                                I badgered my parents to buy me a pocket calculator for my birthday in 1976. There was one in my mom's catalogue, but I don't remember its price. It was a Texas Instruments with red LED display. It had to be charged up--it came with rechargeable batteries I think. It had no memory keys and just did the basic 4 operations plus there was a % key.

When I started college in late 1978 I needed a scientific calculator and in just 2 years the difference between that TI calculator and a Casio with green LED display was staggering.
                                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                                X