Why Don't You...........?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Don't You...........?

Why Don't You Switch Off Your Television & Do Something Less Boring Instead was a morning summer holidays show for kids. In it children would show you how to do & make things "Here's one I made earlier" Blue Peter style lol

One of the better known kids who starred on the show was Gillian Taylforth who went on to playing Kathy Beale in Eastenders
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Re: Why Don't You...........?

Personally I hated this programme but still took the advice of the theme song. I switched it off and went to do something less boring instead, which didn't take much effort!

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalBall View Post
      Personally I hated this programme but still took the advice of the theme song. I switched it off and went to do something less boring instead, which didn't take much effort!
      Most people seemed to hate this programme. It became an embarrassment to admit you watched it. One thing that always puzzled me, if they wanted you to stop watching TV, why did they put so many children's programmes on during the holidays?
      Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Some kids at our school used to rave about it but I could never see the attraction...
        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
          Some kids at our school used to rave about it but I could never see the attraction...
          How old were kids? From memory, there were one or two attractive girls presenting the programme.

Comment

Marc, the girl presenters were a major reason why I would tune in during school holidays. Also, I seem to remember that in the summer hols the show would move from city to city, staying a week, then moving, so each week the presenters changed.

Comment

Originally posted by marc View Post
              One thing that always puzzled me, if they wanted you to stop watching TV, why did they put so many children's programmes on during the holidays?
              Exactly Marc my sentiments exactly
              sigpic
              Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

'We are the Champions' was another pointless 1970s/80s summer children's programme - possibly even worse than 'Why Don't You?'! I was always glad when the regular schedule returned in September.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalBall View Post
                  'We are the Champions' was another pointless 1970s/80s summer children's programme - possibly even worse than 'Why Don't You?'! I was always glad when the regular schedule returned in September.
                  I had forgotten about that programme.....I absolutely loathed it. I will agree, it was worse. At least with 'Why Don't You?' there was a couple of good ideas (and the attractive girl presenters )

Comment

For me "Why Don't You..." was always a bit naff. It always seemed to be a few posh kids suggesting crappy things to do over the holidays when I would rather be out fishing or riding bikes with my mates. WDY always had dull projects like a budget Blue Peter.

I did like the intro animation though.

Finnthedude.

Comment

I liked both of them, good old Summer Holiday TV, just like The Red Hand Gang, Huckleberry Finn & his friends, California Fever (only short lived), The Fabulous Funnies, the old Flash Gordons, the old Supermans etc.

Comment

The Pink Panther & Battle Of The Planets were dusted off for many summer schedules.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by marc View Post
                          I had forgotten about that programme.....I absolutely loathed it. I will agree, it was worse. At least with 'Why Don't You?' there was a couple of good ideas (and the attractive girl presenters )
                          Exactly. All you got was a televised school sports day presented by boring Ron Pickering - who sure was no attractive girl!

Comment

Why Don't You can only be described as 80s.IT I think - sure with no doubts it was one of the 80s Classics - even though it was not a Children's Programe like on CBBC etc as such!

It was a Modern Blue Peter for me, I thought and the activities etc and ideas they had was symbolic of the 1980s and that era!

80sChav

Comment

WDY actually ran from 1973-1995. There were 42 series.

Comment

Working...
                              X