Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best looking police cars

big kid Guest

Default Re: Best looking police cars

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails subaru pc.jpg  

They were before my time but does anybody like the look of the Rover P6 and the Triumph 2500? Popular traffic cars of the 1970s.

big kid Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Arran View Post
    They were before my time but does anybody like the look of the Rover P6 and the Triumph 2500? Popular traffic cars of the 1970s.
    yes, i do. great looking cars and, despite the lack of power steering, they were good to drive.

I really like the old Rover P6. Very classy car. My dad went to see one when he was looking for a new car and I was so disappointed when he didn't buy it.

big kid Guest

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    I was so disappointed when he didn't buy it.
    i know how you would have felt buddy. happened to me on more than one occasion when i used to go car hunting with my dad. i tried to get my dad to buy a daimler double six, but he just walked away from it.

The worst thing was that I was taking driving lessons at the time and I knew that if he bought it then I would get to drive it. It was white with leather seats and a wooden dash if I remember correctly. As he was looking round it, I was already planning where I would take my girlfriend in it...but it wasn't too be.

Love that x cars clip.
    i had a Silver Sierra Sapphire a cosworth same as the police car in the clip, great cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    Rover SD1s seemed natural as police cars, especially the ones with 3.5 litre V8's.

Supposedly the Metropolitan Police liked them so much they bought up a job lot when production ended.
    They look like they were designed to be a police car from the outset. You could fit more road cones into the cavernous boot of an SD1 than any other police car at the time.

Sadly the Rover 800 with its FWD did not have the performance and handling that matched up to the RWD SD1. Damn Honda. The original 800 was RWD and used the same mechanicals as the SD1 and the 3.5 litre V8 engine but Honda insisted that the Legend is FWD. This marked the beginning of the end of Rovers as police cars.

Quote Originally Posted by big kid View Post
    i know how you would have felt buddy. happened to me on more than one occasion when i used to go car hunting with my dad. i tried to get my dad to buy a daimler double six, but he just walked away from it.
    My parents had a Daimler Double Six in the 80s, 5.3 litre V12, would pass anything but a petrol station and needed two fuel tanks. Loved that car, except in the supper with its hot leather seats on bare shorted legs.