Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Love Thy Neighbour

Default Love Thy Neighbour

Love Thy Neighbour starred Rudolph Walker of Eastenders fame & Jack Smethurst playing Bill & Eddie with their respective wives played by Nina Baden Semper & Kate Williams

It has been deemed racist though really it was about the prejudiced ignorance of the white guy Eddie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LTN.jpg  

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it. We would annihilate each other

Default Re: Love Thy Neighbour

great show. pity there are so many people who are quick to shout racist or play the race card.

My sentiments exactly Big Kid

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it. We would annihilate each other

I've not seen this but some people say even ignoring the race element the humour is still fairly basic.
    The Trickster On The Roof

This programme probably done more for race relations than anything else. Three of the actors, Rudolf Walker, Jack Smethurst and Kate Williams had relatively successful careers. Nina Baden-Semper seemed to fade away after this show ended. She had small parts, but nothing major in a lead cast. Until it was mentioned here, I will admit I had a bit of a crush on her when this series was on.
    Who cared about rules when you were young?

I don't really remember watching it growing up but bought the DVD many years ago and enjoyed it. Vince Powell comedies really seem to get hit with the racist card these days (Mind Your Language for example). Don't these people realise that it's Jack Smethurst's character that's made to look the fool in every episode for his bigoted behaviour.

Yes, innocent times.

The problem with examining racial issues this way is that the ignorant b@stards it sends up are usually too stupid to realise they are being laughed at, not with...
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

It's worth remembering that Eddie and Bill were as bad as each other, though Eddie usually ended up with the short straw.

Quote Originally Posted by zabadak View Post
    Yes, innocent times.

The problem with examining racial issues this way is that the ignorant b@stards it sends up are usually too stupid to realise they are being laughed at, not with...
    The sort of people who treat Alf Garnett as a folk hero!
    The Trickster On The Roof

Different times different values. Sorry to say we did not bat an eyelid at this type of program as kids. The worlds certainly changed since the late 60's/70's.To young people today the values that we once had as a collective nation years ago can be quite shocking now. Just check out the recent TV program "IT WAS ALRIGHT IN THE 70'S".