Love Thy Neighbour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love Thy Neighbour

Love Thy Neighbour starred Rudolph Walker of Eastenders fame & Jack Smethurst playing Bill & Eddie with their respective wives played by Nina Baden Semper & Kate Williams

It has been deemed racist though really it was about the prejudiced ignorance of the white guy Eddie
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Re: Love Thy Neighbour

great show. pity there are so many people who are quick to shout racist or play the race card.

Comment

My sentiments exactly Big Kid
      sigpic
      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I've not seen this but some people say even ignoring the race element the humour is still fairly basic.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

This programme probably done more for race relations than anything else. Three of the actors, Rudolf Walker, Jack Smethurst and Kate Williams had relatively successful careers. Nina Baden-Semper seemed to fade away after this show ended. She had small parts, but nothing major in a lead cast. Until it was mentioned here, I will admit I had a bit of a crush on her when this series was on.
          Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

I don't really remember watching it growing up but bought the DVD many years ago and enjoyed it. Vince Powell comedies really seem to get hit with the racist card these days (Mind Your Language for example). Don't these people realise that it's Jack Smethurst's character that's made to look the fool in every episode for his bigoted behaviour.

Comment

Yes, innocent times.

The problem with examining racial issues this way is that the ignorant b@stards it sends up are usually too stupid to realise they are being laughed at, not with...
              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

It's worth remembering that Eddie and Bill were as bad as each other, though Eddie usually ended up with the short straw.

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                  Yes, innocent times.

The problem with examining racial issues this way is that the ignorant b@stards it sends up are usually too stupid to realise they are being laughed at, not with...
                  The sort of people who treat Alf Garnett as a folk hero!

Comment

Different times different values. Sorry to say we did not bat an eyelid at this type of program as kids. The worlds certainly changed since the late 60's/70's.To young people today the values that we once had as a collective nation years ago can be quite shocking now. Just check out the recent TV program "IT WAS ALRIGHT IN THE 70'S".

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                      The sort of people who treat Alf Garnett as a folk hero!
                      My point exactly!

Harry Enfield faced a similar dilemma with his Loadsamoney character - the very idiots he was satirising would yell "Oi, Loadsamoney!" at him in the street! :cry:
                      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                        My point exactly!

Harry Enfield faced a similar dilemma with his Loadsamoney character - the very idiots he was satirising would yell "Oi, Loadsamoney!" at him in the street! :cry:
                        And his Stavros Greek Kebab shop owner character caused problems too.

People who talk about things being "too PC" now, and something not being racist need to understand that is THEIR opinion. We do not need to see Love Thy Neighbour and it's ilk on TV today. Anyone wishing to languish in the past where that show lived can go out and buy it on DVD. No policeman will arrest you, so relax. It does not belong on 21st television, just like Dad's Army. But that's MHO.

Comment

Stavros was a homage to a real Kebab shop owner Harry Enfield knew. It allowed him to make a few outsider's observations on British life.

Comment

Bloody Nora !

Comment

i love this great show.

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

Working...
                              X