The 1984 Welsh Earthquake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 1984 Welsh Earthquake

Does anybody have a recollection of the powerful 5.4 earthquake that struck the Lleyn Peninsula on the morning of Thursday 19th July 1984? It's still the largest land based quake to ever hit the UK. As I lived not too far from the epicentre across the water on Anglesey, I remember that morning very well as I was in front of the TV at the time eating toast when the house started trembling. My house at the time was on quite a busy street and at the time my parents thought it was just a big lorry rumbling past. We didn't think anything about it until we saw people coming out of their homes and examining the masonry that had fallen from their roofs. Quite a weird experience at the time.

Re: The 1984 Welsh Earthquake

I do have some faded memories of damage being shown on the local news, but do not think the effects of it were felt down this way(Wiltshire). Sorry I could not be too much help. Started to get a bit shaky myself........It's an age thing

Comment

I think it was powerful to be felt in Stockport.

According to my Dad he woke up to find our back door had opened itself, but the bolt of the lock was still sticking out. I guess it was powerful enough to wobble the door frame enough to let the door swing open.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I hoped that would have been my only experience of going through an earthquake but I've experienced several hefty quakes during my annual travels to Tokyo. The 7.3 magnitude tremor in December 2012 being the biggest and at the time I was in a cinema watching funnily enough a movie called Bayside SHAKEdown!!!!

Comment

Wow! No, I have no memory of that! I must have just missed it as I went to University in Swansea and left in June or July that year!
          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Working...
          X