Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Was the First Film in a Cinema You Watched?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Was the First Film in a Cinema You Watched?

Sound of Music at 7 I was petrified of the nuns

Comment

Battle of the bulge, my mam took me after school, i must of been about 7-8 years old at the time. I remember the occasion very well but nothing about the film ..i expect the Kia ora and the ice cream tub was the highlight of the trip
      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

The first movie I watched on a cinema was The Wizard Of Oz when I was a kid. My parents brought me on a cinema trip for the first time and it was an unforgettable experience.

Comment

I'm not 100% sure what my first cinema experience was. I have a feeling it was a re-release of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at the Scala (formerly the Odeon) in Rotherham in the mid-70's. I couldn't have been much older than four or five.

Or perhaps it might have been one of the many Disney animations that kept getting reissued around that time... I've got very vague memories of watching Bambi in a cinema, but I'm not sure how old I would have been.

I can certainly remember my first Bond film, though - The Spy Who Loved Me, again at the Scala. I saw so many great films there - Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Flash Gordon, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, ET...

I sure do feel my age all of a sudden!

Comment

Originally posted by NostalgiaGuy View Post
            I'm not 100% sure what my first cinema experience was. I have a feeling it was a re-release of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at the Scala (formerly the Odeon) in Rotherham in the mid-70's. I couldn't have been much older than four or five.

Or perhaps it might have been one of the many Disney animations that kept getting reissued around that time... I've got very vague memories of watching Bambi in a cinema, but I'm not sure how old I would have been.

I can certainly remember my first Bond film, though - The Spy Who Loved Me, again at the Scala. I saw so many great films there - Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Flash Gordon, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, ET...

I sure do feel my age all of a sudden!
            Yeah,nobody forgets there first Bond movie!.....Diamonds are forever 1971 at Manchesters deansgate odeon (now a supermarket i think)
            Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Run cougar run shown before Herbie rides again. August 1974 at the Carlton, Cross Lane, Salford.
              "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Tron (1982)

Comment

My boarding school kind of had its own cinema so something like Quo Vadis or Bridge On The River Kwai. Or maybe The Yellow Rolls Royce with Rex Harrison.

At a proper high street cinema maybe the first movie I saw was Every Which Way But Loose.

Comment

Pretty sure mine was Bedknobs and Broomsticks in the mid 70s
                    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by HG View Post
                      Pretty sure mine was Bedknobs and Broomsticks in the mid 70s

Love that one. Underwater football! And that line that the boy said that has connotations now that were perhaps okay at the time.

Comment

My older brother used to take me to see films, whatever they all were I was too young then to remember a first. Two I do remember well are Damnation Alley, and Logan's Run (even with the bit of nudity), but I was a bit older for them. I also remember a peter sellers Shot In the Dark and some sort of Pink Panther Inspector Clouseau if they weren't one and the same, they would've been mostly over my head. Might've been a Carry On or something like it in there as well, ditto on over my head. It was mostly a function of him babysitting really at first.
                        My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

I remember a few visits as a kid to see whatever Disney had re-released that year. I think pre-video times, a classic Disney was released at cinemas along with a new release
                          first was Pinocchio , must have been about 5
                          last movie went to the cinema to see was tomorrow never dies,

Comment

Fantasia, during one of the half terms, 1973 ,at theTatton, Gatley, Grtr Manchester.

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post

I remember it was on my birthday in either 1984 or 1985 and it was the Odeon or ABC. I was six or seven and I saw either the Care Bears or in December, it was Santa Claus the Movie - I remember that the "adult" 15 certificate choices then were Target and Hannah and Her Sisters if that dates it. Probably 1985. A good few years before I would have been able to watch those!
                              Just looked up my local newspaper archive on the BNA and it was at the end of August 1986 when Target was indeed on Odeon One, Hannah and her Sisters was on Odeon Two, and Care Bears II was on Odeon Three which I saw. One year later!

I was right with the sequence, but not the year. I should have realised as Hannah... was indeed made in 1986 and not the year before.

I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I can't remember the first film but the cinema had gas lighting and was called the Troxy in Fratton Road Portsmouth. Ah wait a minute, before that when I was a kid I went to Saturday morning pictures at the Odeon in Cosham High Street and Roy Rogers with Trigger would make regular appearances. That was back in the time when it had an organ player

Comment

Working...
                                X