Vending Machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vending Machines

There used to be a wide variety of vending machines especially at Preston bus station then the biggest bus station in Europe. It is still there now

You could buy hot dogs, chips, cartons of milk, tea & coffee, amongst a few others

The chip machine contained cooking oil to fry the chips. These chip machines were even situated on filling station forecourts. Who was the brain wave behind that idea? Two inflammatory products in the same place. These chip machines now cook chips in a built in microwave
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Re: Vending Machines

We lived in a smallish town, so vending machines were a bit of a rarity and something to take a look at when we came upon one in our travels. The chip frying one sounds fascinating and I had no idea they even existed--did you get sachets of salt, vinegar etc when you bought your chips?

Comment

Yes Staffslad they included sachets of salt/vinegar/brown & ketchup
      sigpic
      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Wow, all this talk of chips is making me peckish. I hope they were proper chips, not those anaemic French Fries.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
          We lived in a smallish town, so vending machines were a bit of a rarity and something to take a look at when we came upon one in our travels. The chip frying one sounds fascinating and I had no idea they even existed--did you get sachets of salt, vinegar etc when you bought your chips?
          Though I have been a few times, it sounds fantastic Preston Bus Stn Twocky!"

The Vending Machines sound ace in what they offered - I recall at my local Bus Stn in the mid 1990s compared to other places, we appearedd at least "regionaly" to be the first to install Hot Drinks Machines (and if me and my late best Friend decided on an afternoon/day out) we would forever be selecting (or he would)9 Coffees etc as Cappunchno and the like was fairly new in those day's)!! It was the same when we both attended College too

Though it is 7 and a half years since he died and passing these Vending Machines often offer pause for thought about him and make me recall our best times - another memory of Vending Machines was at my first Secondary - where we had one near the Woodwork Blopck (if not the main one0 and we always was involved in a mad clobber to get to it at Break/s and Lunch as it offered Diluted Pop, Tea and Coffee and Beveril and even Soup/s! For someone often not leaving his own Town as I did in 1988/89/90 there or rather not taking much of an interest in life elsewhere and being a tad shy - this was real novel to discover and I often thought (and still wonder) if it was unique at the time Schools-wise as nobody else as ever mentioned "the being of one in their School"!! Sure those day's was happy day's and memories indeed!

80sChav

Comment

For some reason I always remember that the vending machine at our local swimming pool always had Chewitts in it, loved those. They also had a Moon Cresta Arcade Machine, which i preferred playing to swimming.

Comment

That has reminded me that our local swimming baths had a hot drinks machine in the 70s. When I say local I mean the nearest to us but in another town as we didn't have one. I think it was the first vending machine I saw.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                Wow, all this talk of chips is making me peckish. I hope they were proper chips, not those anaemic French Fries.
                I think they might have been oven/microwave chips
                sigpic

Comment

Not a real Klix vending machine but a cookie tin looking like one lol
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic

Comment

Here's another vending machine P

Many hospitals have rotary vending machines which contain meals you can cook them in the microwave next to it
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic

Comment

That has reminded me that where I used to work scrapped the traditional canteen and instigated a vending machine and microwave arrangement. I never used it as I always took a packed lunch, so I don't know how good it was.

Also, a vending machine is featured in one of the On the Buses films. The bus company closes the canteen and installs a vending machine serving cold food, much to the consternation of the employees.

Comment

Modern vending machine (hot beverage for example) vend a wide range of tea coffee & chocolate hot drinks

A lot of vending machine are set at £1 a drink as the machine then only requires pound coins in the change chute for anyone who inserts a £2 pound coin

There are rare machines that accept bank notes such as Costa coffee vending machines
                        sigpic

Comment

My old work had a free vending machine for hot drinks, there was a Vegetable Soup that was both disgusting and delicious if that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                            My old work had a free vending machine for hot drinks, there was a Vegetable Soup that was both disgusting and delicious if that makes sense.
                            Sounds like the machine at one place I worked at, but it wasn't free. The soup was tomato but always needed a stir because all the powder seemed to stay at the bottom of the cup.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

There was one at my comprehensive school - I started there in 1985 - no idea how long it was there. You could have tea, coffee, orange, blackcurrant or chicken soup....but if you pressed two buttons at once both would come out (i think this was a fault)

Comment

Working...
                              X