Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sunday School

Default Re: Sunday School

For the kids nowadays a lot of churches have a 'Messy Church' where kids can throw paint and stuff at each other. The room is covered in mats and sheeting so the kids aren't able to make a total mess

Total bliss I am told lol

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Our local Methodist church holds a Messy church once per month for kids. I don't think they go as far as throwing things around but make things and do paintings plus are told Bible stories.

THIS IS THE ONE I WENT TO FOR SUNDAY SCHOOL
    THOMAS ST CHURCH.

ITS STILL USED AS MUCH
    AS EVER IT WAS.
    I WENT UNTIL I WAS 16.

THE TEACHERS WERE PRETTY STRICT FROM WHAT I REMEMBER

ONE HOUR OR 2 EACH SUNDAY AFTERNOON HAD TO BE WELL DRESSED WITH NICE SHINY BLACK SHOES OUCH.!!

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    Mine was also Methodist. It closed many years ago and I think it is a private house now. The Methodist church closest to us doesn't have a weekly Sunday school now; instead, they have a meeting for kids each month on a Sunday afternoon for about 2 hours where they make things and there are stories and so on.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

It's nice to see some kids nowadays attend Sunday school what with computer games & suchlike

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post
    THIS IS THE ONE I WENT TO FOR SUNDAY SCHOOL
    THOMAS ST CHURCH.

ITS STILL USED AS MUCH
    AS EVER IT WAS.
    I WENT UNTIL I WAS 16.

THE TEACHERS WERE PRETTY STRICT FROM WHAT I REMEMBER

ONE HOUR OR 2 EACH SUNDAY AFTERNOON HAD TO BE WELL DRESSED WITH NICE SHINY BLACK SHOES OUCH.!!
    Maybe Sunday Schools are more prevalent in Ireland & Wales as opposed to England. Scotland too

Regarding the kids attending the Messy Church closest to us; they are all probably mostly pre-teens, a few in their early teens, but none older. Like many churches, they have trouble holding onto them once they hit their early-teens.

The chapel I went to, Sunday School was in the afternoon. I can't remember the time it started, but we would go there for normal service then after the first hymn and prayer we would go downstairs to be taught about the Bible. Has we got a little older, we went into groups with a "teacher" and read verses from the Bible. Then when we were regarded has old enough, we would just attend the full service. Attendances at Sunday Schools fell dramatically towards the beginning of the 1980s.

Has a footnote, I have an interest in Industrial and Social history. When I'm out on one of my walkabouts "exploring the town", I occasionally come across a church or chapel with a building next to it. On a rare occasion, there is sometimes an inscription on the stonework reading Sunday School. Most of these buildings are now used has storerooms, if the church/chapel is still going, or more likely converted to something else. I stand back for a moment and wonder about the children that attended Sunday School in years gone by, what become of them? And what would their memories be?
    Who cared about rules when you were young?

When did the messy church start.

Is this why they have the messy church to try t hold onto kids for longer.

regarding the kids attending the messy church closest to us; they are all probably mostly pre-teens, a few in their early teens, but none older. Like many churches, they have trouble holding onto them once they hit their early-teens.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Regarding the kids attending the Messy Church closest to us; they are all probably mostly pre-teens, a few in their early teens, but none older. Like many churches, they have trouble holding onto them once they hit their early-teens.
    Various people I know say that they don't know whether to laugh or cry that churches have had to resort to holding Messy Church sessions in order to attract kids.

It's noteworthy that more Muslim kids in Britain now attend religious Sunday schools than Christian kids do.