Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manchester Free Trade Hall

In the late seventies there was a mega punk concert in the MFTH

Does anyone remember this or even went there?
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Re: Manchester Free Trade Hall

NO....but i was a regular at the MFTH in the 70s ,i am more of a metal fan than punk and used to watch all those great 70s rock bands at mfth and the apollo theatre, that was when concerts were an affordable leisure activity believe it or not i still have stubs for £3 concerts by ac/dc,quo,priest,and many more,now of course your looking at £60 or more.
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

I have read Alan Clayson's book I Swear I Was There, based on the event, and it is a good read for punk fans (and music fans in general)
      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIdl9mN6yJM

Fans at Manchester Free Trade Hall:

Attached Files
        sigpic
        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIdl9mN6yJM

Fans at Manchester Free Trade Hall:

is that neil from the young ones.

Comment

I think it is Tex
            sigpic

Comment

Went past FTH today....its now a Raddison hotel, all news to me!

Comment

Apparently built on the site of the peterloo masacre, 200th aniversary next year....WIKIPEDIA HAS THIS TO SAY...

The Peterloo Massacre occurred at St Peter's Field, Manchester, England, on 16 August 1819, when cavalry charged into a crowd of 60,000–80,000 who had gathered to demand the reform of parliamentary representation.

The end of the Napoleonic Wars in 1815 had resulted in periods of famine and chronic unemployment, exacerbated by the introduction of the first of the Corn Laws. By the beginning of 1819, the pressure generated by poor economic conditions, coupled with the relative lack of suffrage in Northern England, had enhanced the appeal of political radicalism. In response, the Manchester Patriotic Union, a group agitating for parliamentary reform, organised a demonstration to be addressed by the well-known radical orator Henry H

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                  I have read Alan Clayson's book I Swear I Was There, based on the event, and it is a good read for punk fans (and music fans in general)
                  Oops, it was David Nolan who wrote that book...
                  Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                    Apparently built on the site of the peterloo masacre, 200th aniversary next year....WIKIPEDIA HAS THIS TO SAY...

The Peterloo Massacre occurred at St Peter's Field, Manchester, England, on 16 August 1819, when cavalry charged into a crowd of 60,000–80,000 who had gathered to demand the reform of parliamentary representation.

The end of the Napoleonic Wars in 1815 had resulted in periods of famine and chronic unemployment, exacerbated by the introduction of the first of the Corn Laws. By the beginning of 1819, the pressure generated by poor economic conditions, coupled with the relative lack of suffrage in Northern England, had enhanced the appeal of political radicalism. In response, the Manchester Patriotic Union, a group agitating for parliamentary reform, organised a demonstration to be addressed by the well-known radical orator Henry H
                    Now the subject of a new movie nationwide

Comment

Working...
                    X