Match work tobacco tins.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Match work tobacco tins.

Trying to find some information about match work tobacco tins. These were normal tobacco tins with matchsticks or wood veneer covering the surface with some sort of drawn design or home made transfer applied.

In the 80's I was repairing these tins for people who I met in pubs. Most of these tins were already some years old and were owned by some very rough looking bikers, other were in the hands of Ex-prisoners. Nearly all of the early tins seemed to have pictures of motor bikes, hells angels chapter symbols or the likes or naked lady's wrapped in fantasy snakes or dragons. Other tins had pictures of dolphins, tigers,eagles etc. I went on to making the tins myself and must of produced hundreds for people over the last 20 years.

But the history of where these tins originated nobody seems to know. One theory is that they were a prison craft, another one is they were a part of the late 60's early 70's counter culture as they almost always seemed to be owned by ex Freak beats, ex prisoners or Bikers.

I hope somebody on this fine forum will remember or even own a tin or two they can share with us. Even if you can contribute a little knowledge about them or their possible origins, any little will help.

With thanks' Tony(Battyrat).

Re: Match work tobacco tins.

Hi Tony, I found your post when I was looking for info
    on the exact same thing. I’m trying to find out more about a match work tin I bought ages ago, which I think looks early to mid 20th century. I will post a photo when I get home later.

Comment

I look forward to seeing it. I can post a few later myself when time allows.

Comment

In prison a lot of them are made. Prisoners have a lot of on-cell time so it breaks the boredom

Other things prisoners make with matchsticks are gypsy caravans & clock towers (as for clock towers prisoners but a little brass clock to put in the tower
        Last edited by Twocky61; 03-03-2018, 10:39.
        sigpic
        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I kept forgetting to post this! I have always assumed this was made in prison but know nothing else about it. The subject matter and the style of the signature would suggest it’s from the early to mid-20th century, possibly even older. I did look up tobacco tin shapes and sizes ages ago to help date it, but can’t remember now what I found out.

It looks like it’s faded quite a bit, as the mushroom and the man’s jacket are a very faded red and would probably have been quite bright originally. I just love the strange subject matter, the man’s old fashioned clothes, and the nod to Alice in Wonderland.

Attached Files

Comment

That's a good tin, and would be a typical example from the counter culture of the late 60's -70's.The fantasy mad hatter mushrooms and a Hubble bubble pipe. Some of these images were done a little later. Trouble is they are hard to date as that counter culture still lives in many of us. Here is an example of another fantasy tin. It's made use of a home made transfer. Date wise it's typically 80's.
            Attached Files

Comment

A few later tins using wood veneer.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X