Catgy Come Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catgy Come Home

Cathy Come Home with Carol White playing Cathy was a docudrama about homelessness especially for women with children which was the case with Cathy
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Re: Catgy Come Home

It caused quite a stir at the time. I was too young to see it in the 60s but I caught it when it was repeated several decades ago and I can quite understand the fuss; it is a powerful piece of drama and Carol White is terrific as Cathy.

Comment

I remember seeing it when it was repeated, early 1980s(?). It was very powerful. Carol Joan White (1 April 1943-16 September 1991) was approached many times in the street afterwards with people offering her money. This was often thrust into her hand. She had to explain to them, she was not actually homeless. They could not believe she was just an actress playing the part. Many thought the programme was real. It did cause a storm, with questions being raised in parliament. However, it's a bit of a myth that it changed things for homeless people. It was only in the late 1970s that homeless people were given some sort of priority.
      Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Here is a stage version of Cathy Come Home played by the drama group Cardboard Citizens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvu_ALPqkaA
        sigpic
        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I noticed on the IMDB that Carol White died at a relatively young age in the early 1990s - a pity as she was a talented actress.

I always think of her saying "you're not having my baby" as its main catchphrase.
          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
            I always think of her saying "you're not having my baby" as its main catchphrase.
            That's social workers for you

"What's the difference between a Rottweiler & a social worker?

With a Rottweiler you get your kids back; albeit slightly chewed" lol
            Last edited by Twocky61; 07-11-2017, 10:40. Reason: Font
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X