Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amusement Arcade Computer Game Machines

In amusement arcade there are computer game machines

In the early days it was generally Space Invaders where you have to shoot UFO's passing by the top of the screen

Nowadays ther is more variety such as quiz machines
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Re: Amusement Arcade Computer Game Machines

I've noticed most arcades in the last 20 years have more gambling machines than ones to play games on.

I guess since home consoles became as good as the coin-ups they have lost their niche.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I haven't been into an arcade for probably close to 20 years. There wasn't one in our town so it was just the annual seaside holiday when I would get to play on coin-ops. I liked games like Double Dragon, Operation Wolf, Golden Axe and Thunderblade.

Comment

I use to go to the arcades in soho during the late 80s to play my favourite space invader game called Nemesis.
        Then when Gameboy came out I played Nemesis on that console. Sadly it never advanced to Nintendo ds.

Comment

I loved the Arcades, a highlight of my holidays as a kid was the arcade in Neptune's Palace or our visit to Yarmouth arcades. I also used to visit the ones in Southend Seafront a lot and still visit there on my trips back to the UK.

They were magical in the 70s and 80s when the arcade machines were more powerful than the home consoles/computers which did have their own conversions which were a pale imitation but enjoyable none-the-less, especially in their heyday in the mid 80s. But then the tide turned and you could play the same games at home and they were just as good. So the 90s meant they turned to bigger showcase machines that were harder to replicate at home, these types still exist now but it does seem a majority of the machines now are fruit machines, pinball and the penny droppers, with a smattering of new and old machines and even some large screen playing mobile games on.

There are niche arcades around that cater to the retro gamer and are stocked with the best games of yesteryear, hopefully these last.

Comment

I've been to a few event with both old home computers & classic arcade games.

There will be one in October at Event City near the Trafford Centre.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

This is another one of those things which really WERE better when we were younger - we're not kidding ourselves!

Comment

Currently building one

Comment

What were those machines where you dropped a two pence coin in run of the slots at the top of the machine and the two pence coins would either hit a fruit disc or miss them entirely lol If you hit a row of the discs you won a handful of two pence pieces lol Sheer bliss in the days of innocence where just a few pence win made you happy
                  sigpic
                  Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Back in the 1980s, there used to be a very small arcade in Porthcawl almost next to the Sandpiper pub. It was a converted shop. The man who ran/owned it was in has sixties. He did not suffer fools gladly. There were some superb games in there. Polaris and Time Pilot are two I remember. I also think there was Xevious there has well. Has the games consoles become available, the arcade lost its appeal. Sad in one way...but there again, that's progress.
                    Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

The front at Rhyl was crammed full of arcades in the 80s and 90s. I haven't been there for a long time so I don't know if it has changed now.

I know modern consoles have vastly superior sound, graphics and sophistication in gameplay over the old 80s and 90s arcade machines, but I still look back with great fondness to those old arcades and the thrill of pushing your coin into the slot for a go on your favourite machine, and playing a modern console just doesn't come close to that for me.

Comment

Games i can remember playing on big arcade machines are.
                        Mario 3.
                        Vie
                        wpoint
                        m
                        idnight resistance
                        side arms

but as t
                        ime went on i noticed less and less arcade games and more gambling machines.
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                          The front at Rhyl was crammed full of arcades in the 80s and 90s. I haven't been there for a long time so I don't know if it has changed now.

I know modern consoles have vastly superior sound, graphics and sophistication in gameplay over the old 80s and 90s arcade machines, but I still look back with great fondness to those old arcades and the thrill of pushing your coin into the slot for a go on your favourite machine, and playing a modern console just doesn't come close to that for me.
                          I have heard it has gone down hill Rhyl Staffslad yer, though I always preffered it over Llandudno

Everyone Arcade had loads of Machines at one time I recall like Pinball Wizzard etc and things similar (games-wise) to like Raiders Of The Lost Ark etc), Spiderman etc I recall

80sChav

Comment

If you live anywhere near Manchester, then you really should give this place a try for Europe's best retro arcade fix:

https://www.facebook.com/arcadeclubuk/

Comment

In the 80s when I was arcade-mad, Rhyl was heaven. Llandudno couldn't compare due to its relative lack of arcades. For me, there was nothing to beat walking along the Rhyl front and trying out the dozens of arcades.

Comment

Working...
                              X