Transition from Primary to Scondary/Comp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transition from Primary to Scondary/Comp

We had one open day (sort of thing) there as a Taster type day - what did you other members have if any?

Also we recieved a Booklet at my first Comp that was made through the means of artwork etc and Photos Photocopied into it illustrate differing subject areas and what to expect and if i am not wrong it was threaded together in the old way of strings through 2/3 holes

Either way though the place was a "car crash/sinking ship of a School waiting to happen" and finally did become yet another piece of barron land heading for New housing Estate Land - the place did hold a few memories over my 2 and a bit years there as did the Booklet too. Though it is 29 may-be 30 years old I'll keep it either until my last day on earth or if ewver I marry and have kids and give it to them - regardless of it is battered and bruised through following me to new address' over the years and it's general "weer and tear" given the obvious limits and poor material they had to work with in that era to produce it

** Ona sub-note it would be interesting to hear if other members had Transition Booklets as so!? One day I shall post it - when i get round to it (abliet any actual School info that could be linked to the location of it/where I am) as I do consider it a real "treasure" in a way!!

80sChav

Re: Transition from Primary to Scondary/Comp

From primary (junior) school to comprehensive, we had two trial days at comprehensive. These two days were done IIRC in June before we went there in September. It was to give us a taste of the school. We had our timetable, of which we followed for the two days. We didn't wear uniform, just our ordinary clothes. We were mixed with the other kids that would be in our class. I can't remember much about it now, except I lived closer to the comprehensive than what I did to the primary school. On the second day, I should have gone back to the primary school when our teacher collected us. I managed to slope off home early. Nothing was said, mysteriously!!!!!

We did have a rule book, that went missing soon after I started there proper. It materialised several years after I left school for good. We were given homework by our English teacher.....American and English words that were different, but meant the same, eg. elevator/lift. Most forgot about it until we arrived at the first lesson. She just smiled and said it didn't matter. She had a good laugh at our shocked faces.

I have bitter/sweet memories about this. It marked the end of a bond between us children who had been together since the infant school, aged 3/4. Then the start of new friendships with other children. We went to the comprehensive with so much hope for the future. A new school, new lessons and more knowledge. The school turned out (for me) to be five years of misery.
    Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

When I was in the final year of the Juniors, a lot of my year were going up to a certain comprehensive school, although my parents wanted to me to go to a different one as because my sister went there and it wasn't as rough as the other one. There were three of us who weren't going to the same school that the others were going to, so we joined another class for the day, while the others went.

However, when it came to the intake day of my new school, we went, met our new form tutor, and had an English lesson in the morning and a music lesson in the afternoon, which actually appeared on our Tuesday timetable in the first year. Most of the pupils in my new form were from other primary schools for obvious reasons. We previously had two Tuesday afternoon sessions with out new year head and deputy head, and had two intake evenings on Wednesdays to meet the staff as well.

I remember we had a disco in the final week of the Juniors, and I suppose that leaving to go to a bigger school felt a bit like a football club being the top of its league and getting promotion - moving onto pastures new.

In a nutshell, I hated my new school during the following five years. I was a lot different to the others, which shall we say, made me vulnerable. I am glad that it closed down a year after I left because of the falling number of pupils on the roll - it was poetic justice in many ways.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I think we had two days where we went there for half a day, i deffo remember doing cookery on one of those and we made chocolate crackles (those cornflakes in syrup/chocolate cakes), I guess to try and show us that it was "fun".

Both my older bro and sis went top the same school so I not only had my sisters mates embarrassing me with "oh look there's your brother isn't he cute!" but my bro's mates picking on me a bit, till one day when i threw half a housebrick at one (after they'd turned me upside down in some wet leaves) and hit him in the head.

Comment

Went along with my parents to an open day at secondary before the summer holiday started. Bit of a shock to the system. Only shown the first year hall.Met my teachers to be, well the ones that could be bothered. Given a talk about the school, everybody sat down to listen, then lined up to file past the head of first year and everybody was given a bible if they wanted it or not. Did not do much to encourage anybody to even want to go to the place. Then from there it was downhill all the way from avid student(before I started) to avid drop out(within the first 6 months).

Comment

Wow - I wish my Transition Day's had been as cool as sopme of you guy's/gal's above!

At Mullentino - phew I bet nobody botherted you and your close friends hey mate!/

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post

At Mullentino - phew I bet nobody botherted you and your close friends hey mate!/
              Nobody really saw it other than one of my mates and my bro's two mates, I wasn't one of the types who wanted attention or notoriety at school, kept my head down most of the time.
              Was a cracking throw though, quite a distance, I did have a good throwing arm, which helped me get into the javelin team. I had a bit of a temper in those days, also stabbed my brother in the face with a fork at dinner once because he was winding me up. I did try to stay calm as much as possible, just a couple of times i flipped.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                Nobody really saw it other than one of my mates and my bro's two mates, I wasn't one of the types who wanted attention or notoriety at school, kept my head down most of the time.
                Was a cracking throw though, quite a distance, I did have a good throwing arm, which helped me get into the javelin team.
                Still, say's a lot about your character and your a dude who cares as so Mullentino Braw

Including the old Tie thin - that proved what camp people was in Imho

80sChav

Comment

We were taken on a tour of the school before we started there

We were allocated to a house group. There were four: Yellow red green blue which each had a name

I was in Yale (yellow) another one was Griffin (green), I forget the names of the Blue & Red houses
                  sigpic
                  Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I can remember being nervous as my secondary school was so much bigger in size from primary school.

Dont think i had a taster day as such or a transition booklet.

But it took quite a while to find my way round i know that.
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                      I can remember being nervous as my secondary school was so much bigger in size from primary school.

Dont think i had a taster day as such or a transition booklet.

But it took quite a while to find my way round i know that.
                      True same here but we ghad a sort of day Daz mate

Though yer took me ages to find my way too

Comment

Working...
                      X