Pre-CPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-CPS

We now have the Crown Prosecution Service here in the UK. They decide whether or not to pursue with a criminal court case depending whether it is in the public interest to pursue the case to court

Pre the advent of the CPS it was the police who decided whether or not to charge a suspect. Out on the street the foot patrol policeman/policewoman had the discretion to choose for themselves depending on the circumstances. So for example a boy/girl caught doing something naughty, it was up to the police officer whether to give the boy/girl a warning and a 'clip around the ear' or to the police station to be interviewed with view to charge for a criminal offence. All that was for the police to decide. The police are on the ground and know what's going on & decide how to deal with the situation

In the late seventies I TWOCked (Taking Without Owners consent hence my in here on DYR) a car from outside some shops. The car had the keys in the ignition. I went into a shop & bought a bar of chocolate & sat on the wall getting up the nerve to nick said vehicle. I jumped off the wall and casually walked to the car. After seeing nobody was around I got in & drove off. Then I thought better of it and went round the block & parked it where I found it. At this point a police officer walking along saw me. He asked what was I doing & I admitted I took the car but thought better of it so I had just parked the car where I found it. If the CPS were around in those days he would have had to arrest me. As it was it was up to him how to deal with the situation. He told me off & not to do it again
    Last edited by Twocky61; 21-09-2017, 09:20.
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Working...
X