Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to remember schoolbooks from the 80s

Default Re: Trying to remember schoolbooks from the 80s

ST(P) Mathematics - Secondary school mathematics books that had strange 3D shapes on the cover. An updated series was very popular in the 1990s.

SMP 11-16 - Not the original SMP modern mathematics books with the punched tape on the cover but the series of books with pictures on the cover and a confusing colour code system.

Quote Originally Posted by marc View Post
    I remember silver and gold colour graded reading books, but can't remember reading them. They came after reading through the Ladybird 1a-12/13b books. They may have been phased out during the 1974-78 period I was at junior school.
    I remember those too. We had numbered "Red Books" that we read before moving onto Silver and Gold. I think they were these - http://schoolreading70sbooks.weebly....ld-ridout.html

There are a fair few here too (and tesxt books) in case anyone recognises them - http://schoolreading70sbooks.weebly.com/

Strange looking at those links. The pirate books I certainly remember along with some of the wildlife books which we had in the school library at primary, but the music books we used may of been 50's and 60's text books and I would of used them in the early-mid 70's.It's possible that some of the books we had were ancient.

I always liked the Village With Three Corners books. The characters were Roger Red-Hat, Billy Blue-Hat, John and Jennifer Yellow-Hat and Percy Green-Hat (never liked him, he was very stuck-up).

They had some very intriguing stories, the village had a kind of Royston Vasey feel to it and the stories sometimes strayed into paranormal territory, with the mystery of the black stone on the river, and the witches' coven that inhabited the cave under Black Cliff!

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzKid View Post
    I always liked the Village With Three Corners books. The characters were Roger Red-Hat, Billy Blue-Hat, John and Jennifer Yellow-Hat and Percy Green-Hat (never liked him, he was very stuck-up).

They had some very intriguing stories, the village had a kind of Royston Vasey feel to it and the stories sometimes strayed into paranormal territory, with the mystery of the black stone on the river, and the witches' coven that inhabited the cave under Black Cliff!
    Wow I remember that black stone in the river one. It must have made quite an impression to have stayed with me...

Shops are awash with primary school English, maths, and science books for kids to use at home but could you buy similar books back in the 1980s? I have found O Level and CSE revision books from the 1980s but can't seem to find anything primary school level.

I remember my parents buying the Action Science books while I was at secondary school in the early 1990s so I could use them while doing my homework.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
    When I was at primary school during the early 70s we use to read the Griffin Pirate books written by Sheila McCullagh. I use to love them, which included characters such as Benjamin the blue pirate, Gregory the green pirate and Roderick the red pirate.
    I remembered the books about six years ago, so decided to get the entire collection. Some are even first editions.

The A-level textbook I possessed was by Nelkon and Parker. The pages were ultra thin...you dare not breath on the book.
    Yes I recall those pirate books too. In fact they were an integral part of my learning to read. Mid 60's. Didn't realise they were still around in the 70's. I've been looking for them also, but never seen them. Will have another look now you've given me the author and publisher, so thanks.