Trying to remember schoolbooks from the 80s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to remember schoolbooks from the 80s

I grew up in Scotland from 1982 onwards so I understand that the Scottish school system may have used different books from elsewhere! I went to school in Scotland from 1982- 1988.

It's been so long since I thought about them, but one I remember was a schoolbook used for "Modern Studies". It was paperback and had a gold cover. And it had and image of "Brittania" on it (the lady, that is)

The rest, well....I've drawn a blank. I remember the Higher Physics textbook was paperback and pretty large.

I'd love to see images of them again, or maybe even get lucky on ebay. I'm not overly hopeful if anyone can help on this, but I thought I'd ask anyway

Re: Trying to remember schoolbooks from the 80s

When I was at primary school during the early 70s we use to read the Griffin Pirate books written by Sheila McCullagh. I use to love them, which included characters such as Benjamin the blue pirate, Gregory the green pirate and Roderick the red pirate.
    I remembered the books about six years ago, so decided to get the entire collection. Some are even first editions.

The A-level textbook I possessed was by Nelkon and Parker. The pages were ultra thin...you dare not breath on the book.

Comment

Not exactly a school book, but we read in English lessons Laurie Lee's book Cider With Rosie
      sigpic
      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

At junior school circa 1970 I remember a set of reading books that were graded by colour, with silver and gold being the most advanced I think, and we had to work our way through them. At secondary school, the only textbook I can remember was one called 'France Aujourd 'hui' for French. There were no textbooks for any other subject. For English we read 1984 by George Orwell and Lord of the Flies by William Golding for O-level.

Comment

Secondary 1978-1983 we had text books for Biology. I think first year history text books as well. But they were not common. Think teachers usually made it up as they went along. It would explain when we got to the exams in some lessons they contained a lot of subjects we never even covered in any of our lessons in 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
            At junior school circa 1970 I remember a set of reading books that were graded by colour, with silver and gold being the most advanced I think, and we had to work our way through them.
            I remember silver and gold colour graded reading books, but can't remember reading them. They came after reading through the Ladybird 1a-12/13b books. They may have been phased out during the 1974-78 period I was at junior school.
            Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
              Not exactly a school book, but we read in English lessons Laurie Lee's book Cider With Rosie
              I think this book was possibly read by O level English at some point. I well remember a friend reading it while at school. I don't think it was part of the CSE, at least not in Wales.
              Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Ginn Reading 360 was a massive range of books for kids from reception class to year 6. Most primary schools used them in the 1980s and they still had a set at my primary school in the 1990s.

Peak Mathematics was a popular primary mathematics book of the 1980s before the National Curriculum.

Britain since 1700 by R.J. Cootes was a classic secondary school history book of the 1980s and 90s that's still quite highly regarded today.

Deutsch Heute (with Franzi the pig) was one of the most popular German books in the 1980s and it's still around today.

Comment

I remember using the Ginn reading books, my sister also used them in the 1990s.

Fletcher Maths books were common at primary schools, but mine got some new ones in the late 1980s.

At secondary school we had the Action France range of French text books, amusingly these were produced 10 years before I started secondary school, so the turn of the 1980s fashions in many pictures were good for a laugh or 2!
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Can anybody name any primary school science book series from the 1980s? Did many primary schools even teach science in the 1980s before the National Curriculum?

https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/t...e-in-the-1980s

Comment

ST(P) Mathematics - Secondary school mathematics books that had strange 3D shapes on the cover. An updated series was very popular in the 1990s.

SMP 11-16 - Not the original SMP modern mathematics books with the punched tape on the cover but the series of books with pictures on the cover and a confusing colour code system.

Comment

Originally posted by marc View Post
                        I remember silver and gold colour graded reading books, but can't remember reading them. They came after reading through the Ladybird 1a-12/13b books. They may have been phased out during the 1974-78 period I was at junior school.
                        I remember those too. We had numbered "Red Books" that we read before moving onto Silver and Gold. I think they were these - http://schoolreading70sbooks.weebly....ld-ridout.html

There are a fair few here too (and tesxt books) in case anyone recognises them - http://schoolreading70sbooks.weebly.com/

Comment

Strange looking at those links. The pirate books I certainly remember along with some of the wildlife books which we had in the school library at primary, but the music books we used may of been 50's and 60's text books and I would of used them in the early-mid 70's.It's possible that some of the books we had were ancient.

Comment

I always liked the Village With Three Corners books. The characters were Roger Red-Hat, Billy Blue-Hat, John and Jennifer Yellow-Hat and Percy Green-Hat (never liked him, he was very stuck-up).

They had some very intriguing stories, the village had a kind of Royston Vasey feel to it and the stories sometimes strayed into paranormal territory, with the mystery of the black stone on the river, and the witches' coven that inhabited the cave under Black Cliff!

Comment

Originally posted by BlitzKid View Post
                              I always liked the Village With Three Corners books. The characters were Roger Red-Hat, Billy Blue-Hat, John and Jennifer Yellow-Hat and Percy Green-Hat (never liked him, he was very stuck-up).

They had some very intriguing stories, the village had a kind of Royston Vasey feel to it and the stories sometimes strayed into paranormal territory, with the mystery of the black stone on the river, and the witches' coven that inhabited the cave under Black Cliff!
                              Wow I remember that black stone in the river one. It must have made quite an impression to have stayed with me...

Comment

Working...
                              X