Trying to remember schoolbooks from the 80s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trying to remember schoolbooks from the 80s

Shops are awash with primary school English, maths, and science books for kids to use at home but could you buy similar books back in the 1980s? I have found O Level and CSE revision books from the 1980s but can't seem to find anything primary school level.

Comment

I remember my parents buying the Action Science books while I was at secondary school in the early 1990s so I could use them while doing my homework.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post
        When I was at primary school during the early 70s we use to read the Griffin Pirate books written by Sheila McCullagh. I use to love them, which included characters such as Benjamin the blue pirate, Gregory the green pirate and Roderick the red pirate.
        I remembered the books about six years ago, so decided to get the entire collection. Some are even first editions.

The A-level textbook I possessed was by Nelkon and Parker. The pages were ultra thin...you dare not breath on the book.
        Yes I recall those pirate books too. In fact they were an integral part of my learning to read. Mid 60's. Didn't realise they were still around in the 70's. I've been looking for them also, but never seen them. Will have another look now you've given me the author and publisher, so thanks.

Comment

If we separate textbooks from reading books, I remember in Infant school that we had the One Two Three and Away reading books as mentioned above.. Roger Red Hat reminded me of Captain Sensible for obvious reasons.

In Junior school, we had SMP Maths, Nuffield Maths, and something called English Links and Study Skills. We also had the Ginn reading books, at different levels, mostly 7 to 12.
          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

My Family & Other Animals by Gerald Durrel was another iconic school book
            sigpic
            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Nuffield education was strange by today's standards and based on some radical theories from the 1960s. Some critics of Nuffield claim that it existed in order to sell tons of educational equipment - like ticker timers - to schools.

Comment

I am concluding that primary school English, maths, and science books for kids to use at home were very rare in the 1980s. Am I correct?

Comment

Working...
                X