On TV, today in 1977:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On TV, today in 1977:

Imagine its 40 years ago today and you switch on the TV. Here's the listings for the Beeb. What would you have watched?

BBC1:
    08:50 Bagpuss
    09:05 Gymnast 1: Men's floor event
    09:30 Multi Coloured Swap Shop
    11:58 Weather
    12:00 Grandstand
    17:10 Tom & Jerry
    17:25 The News
    17:35 Regional News
    17:40 Star Turn
    18:05 Dr Who
    18:30 Bruce Forsyth & The Generation Game
    19:25 The Dutchess of Duke Street
    20:20 The Dick Emery Show
    20:55 The News
    21:05 International Show Jumping
    22:20 Match of the Day
    23:20 Parkinson

BBC2:
    08:05 Open University
    15:20 Don Juan
    17:10 Horizon
    18:00 Open Door
    18:30 Sight & Sound in Concert
    19:30 The News
    19:45 The Gun
    20:00 The Lively Arts - In Performance
    21:25 Bomber & Paganini
    23:10 Network
    23:40 News On 2
    23:45 International Golf
    00:25 The Narrow Margin

Comment what you would've watched and when you'd turn over to ITV (or turn off and go to the pub). Also, say if you want me to do any more of these.

Re: On TV, today in 1977:

Tom and Jerry, Dr Who, Generation game and Parkinson

Comment

Hmm - according to wiki, the Dr Who episode would have been Hand of Fear, which I'm not familiar with, but as we are in Tom Baker territory I'll give it a go.

Comment

Doctor Who, Brucie, Duchess of Duke Street, Dick Emery, MotD and Parkinson. 6 programmes...which is 6 more than I now watch on Saturdays. I would like to see what ITV were offering. These listings are very interesting and I, for one, would like to see more.

Comment

I get the listings from the BBC Genome website which (sadly and obviously) doesn't have ITV listings. I'm sure I could find some somewhere online so hopefully I can do some more. Glad you like it!

Comment

Originally posted by catflap View Post
            Hmm - according to wiki, the Dr Who episode would have been Hand of Fear, which I'm not familiar with, but as we are in Tom Baker territory I'll give it a go.
            That would have been the last series that Sarah Jane Smith (late Elizabeth Sladen) appeared in. It was lovely to see her again in the new Doctor Who series, School Reunion. One Doctor Who companion well and truly sadly missed.
            Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

That's easy, Start with Bagpuss. Then we have three big ones. Dr who was massive and the hand of fear was a terrific story and the last to have Sarah Jane Smith. So a sad farewell. Who could ever miss the Generation game. Bruce done us proud and I would of spent all that program in stitches. Then Dick Emery show, he was one of the comedy greats. The rest of it I would of easily walked away from as I would now. Funny when you think back TV seemed so great back then but looking at it now the Beeb's programming seems so restrictive. Probably why we watched a lot of HTV at times.

Comment

Yes, Bagpuss, but Swap Shop, no, I would have been a Tiswas viewer in 1977. Grandstand was okay, but if I watched it, I would turn over to ITV for the wrestling at 4pm, then back to BBC for the teleprinter and football results.

Comment

I think it was 'The Invisible Enemy' that was the Doctor Who serial back in October 1977, with Leela being the companion. 'Hand of Fear' was the serial from October 1976.

Comment

Multi Coloured Swap Shop; Dr Who; Bruce Forsyth & The Generation Game; The Dick Emery Show; Match of the Day; Parkinson (depending on who was on)
                    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by MiniMort View Post
                      I get the listings from the BBC Genome website which (sadly and obviously) doesn't have ITV listings. I'm sure I could find some somewhere online so hopefully I can do some more. Glad you like it!
                      Try this site https://radiosoundsfamiliar.com/the-...hive-1970s.php

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                        I think it was 'The Invisible Enemy' that was the Doctor Who serial back in October 1977, with Leela being the companion. 'Hand of Fear' was the serial from October 1976.
                        I stand corrected! - not sure I recall this one either, but it seems to have run between 'Horror of Fang Rock' and 'Image of the Fendhal', both of which I remember very fondly.

Comment

Bagpuss, Multi Coloured Swap Shop, Tom and Jerry, Doctor Who (I was fanatical about watching this), Bruce Forsyth & The Generation Game, The Dick Emery Show. I never watched Horizon until the 1990s, pity, there must have been some fantastic science episodes.
                          Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Just spotted 'The Narrow Margin' at 00:25 - put me down for that, great film.

Remade with Gene Hackman in the 90s, but the original is best.

Comment

I was a Tiswas kid too, so much better/anarchic than swap shop. We were so lucky in the Midlands in that we had it from the start in '74. Can't believe it ended in '82, my fading memory had it lasting longer than that. Would've watched Dr. Who too (fan of Dr's played by Pertwee and Baker, lost interest when Baker left). Generation Game, maybe Dick Emery. Wouldn't have watched MoTD as I didn't get into footy till later in life. I would have missed most of the afternoon TV as I'd be out playing (I was 9 in '77).

Finnthedude.

Comment

Working...
                              X