Things which you thought would have disappeared but are still around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things which you thought would have disappeared but are still around

Just as the title suggests - a thread for those things which you feel ought to have disappeared ages ago, but have inexplicably survived into the modern age. To start you off, here's two which come to my mind:

1. Allotments

I grew up near an allotment. This was in the 1970s, so perhaps I can't help but view allotments with a tint of nostalgia. Nevertheless, given the present tendency to get all our stuff - even fresh fruit and veg - as quickly, cheaply and as easily as possible from the supermarket, it does suprise me that allotments still appear to be thriving. True, food prices are going up, so it makes sense to do a bit of grow-your-own - yet I've never noticed a discernable slump in allotment usage throughout all these decades. Of course, freshly grown food always tastes better than what you get from the supermarket, but it does surprise me that in an age where instant gratification seems to trump measured patience, there are still many, many people willing to put in a lot of time and effort for their...cabbages. Not that I'm complaining - it's heartening to see that there are plenty of folks around who are willing to take time in the pursuit of quality.

2. Laundrettes

We have no video shops anymore, because people use Netflix and the like, or they buy dirt-cheap DVDs & Blurays. Photo development places are virtually extinct, because everyone has digital cameras and phones. And yet, despite the fact that everyone has a washing machine, laundrettes are everywhere - well, they are in my locale, at least.

I suppose a case could be made that laundrettes can also offer dry-cleaning services, but in an age where clothing is cheap and easily replaceable, I doubt there's that much call for it. And yet...laundrettes survive. Somehow.

Re: Things which you thought would have disappeared but are still around

'Corner' shops

With the advent of cheap supermarkets, such as Aldi & Lidl, not to mention main supermarkets. they loose out.

Some are surviving as franchises to companies such as Premier Spar Londis & Nisa. They even produce leaflets with special offers.

So maybe we will have little shops for some time to come
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I'm surprised ready meals haven't killed off Vesta curries & Fray Bentos meat pies in a tin.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Fray Bentos pies; I love those; the only pie in a tin as far as I know
        sigpic
        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Racism
          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Laundrettes seem to conjure up images of poverty and council estates nowadays. They served a social function where women could have a natter whilst their clothes were washing.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
              Laundrettes seem to conjure up images of poverty and council estates nowadays. They served a social function where women could have a natter whilst their clothes were washing.
              They almost make you feel posh if you have your own washing machine in your home.

Things which you thought would have disappeared but are still around? - I would say war happening around the world.
              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Fax machines. In my line of work we have to send a lot of confidential information to places. One company we do tons of business with doesn't have a secure email and insists we send everything by fax. It drives me insane. Our fax machine is ancient and always breaks down. I wouldn't care but fax is one of the least secure methods of data transfer too! I feel like I've slipped into 1985 every time I have to use the stupid thing.
                1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                  Fax machines. In my line of work we have to send a lot of confidential information to places. One company we do tons of business with doesn't have a secure email and insists we send everything by fax. It drives me insane. Our fax machine is ancient and always breaks down. I wouldn't care but fax is one of the least secure methods of data transfer too! I feel like I've slipped into 1985 every time I have to use the stupid thing.
                  I think the office I work at still has a fax tucked away.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                    Mostly launderette's are now in area's where students have their uni accommodation
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
                      Mostly launderettes are now in areas where students have their uni accommodation
                      And perhaps some of them work in the launderettes part time when they are not studying, to make ends meet.

Quite true - there is a launderette quite close to where student housing is in Nottingham.
                      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                        Funnily enough, when I popped into my local chemist (yes, I know they're called pharmacies now, but The Old Ways Are Better as far as I'm concerned) a few weeks ago, there was a delay on using my credit card as payment because the dial-up connection for their card machine was being thoroughly clogged up by...their fax machine!

Which actually brings up another one of those things you would've thought had disappeared but are still around: dial-up connections.

Comment

Working...
                        X