Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric Plugs

Default Re: Electric Plugs

Most domestic electric appliances come with a moulded sealed plug. How many perfectly good appliances have been thrown away because the plug has been broken? My friend, a qualified electrician, told me years ago, if the plug gets broken just cut the wire and put another plug on it. Just make sure the correct fuse is in it.

The wiring of a plug is now easy. Colours refer to UK.

The blue (neutral) wire goes to the left pin. BLUE=B(bottom) L(left)
    The brown (live) wire goes to the right pin. BROWN=B(bottom) R(right)
    The green and yellow (earth) goes to the centre (top) pin. This is the most important wire to be connected properly. Connect it to the wrong pin, YOU WILL MAKE THE APPLIANCE LIVE.

Anybody remember the old wire colours (UK)?

Black (neutral). That went on the left pin. BLACK=B(bottom) L(left)
    Red (live). That went on the right pin. RED=R(right)
    Green (earth). That went on the centre pin.

I'm not sure when the change of wire colours happened, but I think it was in the 1970s.
    Who cared about rules when you were young?

Some appliances (more so cookers which can only nowadays be fitted by a qualified electrician) you can wire directly into a flat panel on the wall rather than by plugging into an electrical socket. Only trouble with that is you can't move the appliance from where it is wired in

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Reminds me of that PIF with the stupid man with a drill putting matchsticks in the socket with the wires connected to it. That was enough to scare anyone into plugging anything into a socket.

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    Reminds me of that PIF with the stupid man with a drill putting matchsticks in the socket with the wires connected to it. That was enough to scare anyone into plugging anything into a socket.
    I was thinking about that recently, it's on one of the Charley Says compilations.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Quote Originally Posted by Twocky61 View Post
    Some appliances (more so cookers which can only nowadays be fitted by a qualified electrician) you can wire directly into a flat panel on the wall rather than by plugging into an electrical socket. Only trouble with that is you can't move the appliance from where it is wired in
    Actually, I was referring to things like a microwave, toaster Etc. not an electric cooker.
    Who cared about rules when you were young?

Quote Originally Posted by Arran View Post
    There was even a plug that was inserted into a light fitting instead of a bulb. They got banned for safety reasons but some people lament this ban because they were useful for making light fittings removable.
    I have seen someone do that. Absolutely dangerous.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

I have seen someone do that. Absolutely dangerous.
    My parents had an international travel adaptor that could be connected to a light fitting, but I never remember them doing that.

Some of the cookery rooms at my secondary school had some fittings with a socket one a long cable hung from the ceiling.

They had long been tied up so no-one could use them, which was probably a good thing.

As we are close to the Christmas season, I was thinking of the old Christmas tree that we had at home, and the plug at the end was a European one with two round pins at the end - we had to get one of those cube adaptors so that we could plug it in. I believe that they were the same plugs that shavers have so that they can be used in the bathroom.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

I can't actually remember things coming without plugs. Mind dad was an electrician so the house was always full of plugs and wires and things and I suspect he got straight to new items before I was even aware that they didn't have a plug attached.
    1976 Vintage

As we are close to the Christmas season, I was thinking of the old Christmas tree that we had at home, and the plug at the end was a European one with two round pins at the end - we had to get one of those cube adaptors so that we could plug it in. I believe that they were the same plugs that shavers have so that they can be used in the bathroom.
    I remember my parents had a set of Xmas lights with a 2 round pin plug on. We needed an adaptor for it. One year I noticed the plug was loose, so I tightened the screw holding it together only for the brittle plastic it was made of to crack. After that I put a normal 3 pin plug on, I'm surprised my Dad hadn't done that years before.