Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Short Wave Radio

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
    The BBC had a shuffle round of frequencies in the late 1970s, before then Radio 2 was on 1500m (aka 198KHz) & was swapped to Radio 4.
    That matches my recollections entirely Richard. I remember they gave us little stickers to put on our wireless sets to remind us of the new frequencies.

Comment

Here's what the stickers looked like, my Dad had some on his Grundig Elite Boy.
      Attached Files
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

The Americans never used LW for broadcasting. Most radios sold in the US do not have LW tuners in them.

Comment

Here's what the stickers looked like, my Dad had some on his Grundig Elite Boy.
          Thanks for that Richard. It brought back some nice memories.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
            The Americans never used LW for broadcasting. Most radios sold in the US do not have LW tuners in them.
            I noticed that. They used to use a lot of medium wave especially but the default setting there is FM.

Comment

Back in around 1994, I got myself one of those radios from Argos that had FM, MW, LW and around seven SW wavebands on it. I remember as soon as I got it home, putting the radio near the back bedroom window with its aerial up at an angle, and searching the SW bands - most of them were in foreign languages, not surprisingly, but I do remember getting a World Service-alike station in English that was based in Switzerland on there.

I suppose that the fact that Internet radio can be heard almost anywhere in the world has taken over the excitement of searching for obscure stations on the SW wavebands.
              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                Back in around 1994, I got myself one of those radios from Argos that had FM, MW, LW and around seven SW wavebands on it. I remember as soon as I got it home, putting the radio near the back bedroom window with its aerial up at an angle, and searching the SW bands - most of them were in foreign languages, not surprisingly, but I do remember getting a World Service-alike station in English that was based in Switzerland on there.

I suppose that the fact that Internet radio can be heard almost anywhere in the world has taken over the excitement of searching for obscure stations on the SW wavebands.
                I agree with the last point: it's great being able to listen to radio from anywhere in the world on my phone, but it takes away the romance of 'putting the radio bar the back bedroom with its aerial up at an angle, and searching the SW bands'.

The station you probably heard was World Radio Switzerland.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Bear View Post

The station you probably heard was World Radio Switzerland.
                  I am certain that station is on Sky.
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I am certain that station is on Sky.
                    Probably: I haven't listened to it since my SW days.

Comment

I remember at some point between Christmas and New Year one year, receiving The Voice of Russia or some radio station like that. It was on the Medium Wave, although I would have expected to pick that up on SW instead.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I remember at some point between Christmas and New Year one year, receiving The Voice of Russia or some radio station like that. It was on the Medium Wave, although I would have expected to pick that up on SW instead.
                        On old wireless sets in particular, I have picked up Russian and even Indian radio.

Comment

Apparently in 1970s Russia, there were 'Radio Yerevan' jokes. People would say that there would be a bumper harvest this year or more food in the shops, or designer goods and they knew this because they 'heard it on Radio Yerevan'. Yerevan was the capital of Soviet Armenia and so was considered remote by most Russians.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Bear View Post
                            Agreed, but I’m still wondering why the French in particular got into long wave (‘grandes ondes’ as they call it).
                            162kHz was used for France Inter. A state owned generalist radio station roughly similar to Radio 2. LW broadcasts ended in 2016 and France Inter is now only broadcast on FM. The frequency is now used for the TDF time signal.

183kHz is used for Europe 1. An independent radio station established in 1955 for France and French speaking Switzerland. The transmitter is actually located in Germany because when Europe 1 was established privately owned radio stations were prohibited in France. Europe 1 is also available on FM.

216kHz is used for Radio Monte Carlo. An independent radio station established in 1943 that's indirectly owned by the governments of France and Monoco. The transmitter is located in Roumoules in France and was switched on in 1974. Radio Monte Carlo is also available on FM.

234kHz is used for RTL. A French language independent radio station established in 1933 as Radio Luxembourg. RTL is also available on FM in France and Luxembourg.

I think the answer to your question is that LW is effective at covering a large area, and two of the radio stations had their transmitters located outside of France because in previous decades privately owned radio stations were prohibited in France. Of the two radio stations that are officially French, Radio Monte Carlo only started being broadcast on LW in 1974, and France Inter has been switched off on LW.

Comment

I've heard Radio Monte Carlo used to have an English service like Radio Luxembourg, & some British DJs had shows on it before going to Radio 1 & 2.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I've heard Radio Monte Carlo used to have an English service like Radio Luxembourg, & some British DJs had shows on it before going to Radio 1 & 2.
                                Yes, I remember it from the 70s and I also remember picking up a Monte Carlo based 'cheesy listening' station on a visit to Nice in 1997: possibly it the same one.

Comment

Working...
                                X