Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Snooker

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
    One player's nickname was The Silver Fox but I can't quite remember his name.
    Wasn't that David Taylor? (not Dennis).
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

The first crossword answer I ever got right, when I was about 8 or 9, was "DOUG/MOUNTJOY".

Comment

I recall John Spencer being our local hero ( Radcliffe)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I always hated it when our "local hero" Anthony Hamilton (who came from Gedling in Nottingham) was referred to as the "Robin Hood of Snooker" - I don't know about anyone else local to where I live, but I have always hated it when the national bigwigs stereotype Nottingham people with annoying "Robin Hood" and "ey up, me duck" references - I find it quite offensive to be honest. It maybe affectionate, but surely giving players local stereotypes, ironic or not, can be below the belt at times.
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

"ey up, me duck" sounds more Northen, like something someone on Coronation Street would say.

The sporting press liked to give competitors nicknames, Tony Drago was always the Maltese Falcon.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

John virgo lived on my street in Salford
              Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

YEP DAVID TAYLOR HE IS.

THINK HE WAS S
                AW BY A COMMENTATOR IN A BBC SNOOKER EVENT LAST SEASON IN THE CROWD.

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                Wasn't that David Taylor? (not Dennis).
                Last edited by darren; 26-03-2019, 21:06.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I remember when being driven in the school minibus through Cheadle our teacher pointed out where Alex Higgins's house was.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

It’s funny how these guys like Alex Higgins and Ronnie O’Sullivan are treated like gods yet they’re just knocking balls down little holes ..

Same applies to football where I worship Zidane of course ..

It’s not as though these people are saving lives or anything yet they’re held in such high esteem

Comment

The 1980s were a fantastic time for snooker. The players had so much character. I don't watch much of it now as it does not appeal to me as it did.

Reading other comments, no one seems to have mentioned the 'black ball' game. The 1985 world championship final at Sheffield when Denis Taylor played Steve Davis. That final frame has always stayed in my memory.

I always use love the manner in which Alex Higgins would arrive at the table and begin removing his tie in front of the referee.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                        "ey up, me duck" sounds more Northern, like something someone on Coronation Street would say.
                        I heard Betty Turpin / Williams use the word "duck" when serving hot pots in Corrie, but I assumed that Betty Driver came from Leicestershire originally.

Nottingham feels more northern because of the protests of pit closures and Scargill supporters throughout the 1980s which makes it feel identical to South Yorkshire and places like that - ironically, some of them were snooker fans due to the snooker clubs set up.

(I almost thought that my post from earlier on had been deleted because I didn't realise the flurry of posts since I made it on the other page!)
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                          It’s funny how these guys like Alex Higgins and Ronnie O’Sullivan are treated like gods yet they’re just knocking balls down little holes ..
                          One could argue that Nick Faldo and Ernie Els were famous for "knocking balls down little holes" which is also what Golf is also about - but would one regard a goal net as a hole?
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                            One could argue that Nick Faldo and Ernie Els were famous for "knocking balls down little holes" which is also what Golf is also about - but would one regard a goal net as a hole?
                            Just suggesting it’s kinda odd for us to worship sporting heroes or even actors and singers for basically doing NOTHING ... compared to nurses / doctors / surgeons ..

Comment

Just suggesting it’s kinda odd for us to worship sporting heroes or even actors and singers for basically doing NOTHING ... compared to nurses / doctors / surgeons ..
                              I understand what you are saying - as I said before, there are doctors, teachers, police etc who make more impact in society with saving lives and making people better, and an average sportsman is probably not much different to a comedian or an actor by virtue that they entertain people and not cure the problems that most people have. I suppose that they represent a sort of Fantasyland that the real world that we live in doesn't tally with - I like being entertained when I watch the TV but on the other hand, they don't really solve the world's problems. When we walk down the street every day, we are most likely to come face to face with someone who is needy, disabled, homeless, etc, rather than meet a star sportsman or pop star - it is a fact.
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

as a watcher of snooker for over 30 yrs ive seen so many players but one reason players such as ronnie and alex and even jimmy white are treated like gods is because they are controversial in both what they say and do on and off the table.

for instance when alex headbutted ref len ganley and a magic moment when alex won in 1982 holding his baby girl gets me teary thinking of it,and 30 yrs later she visited the crucible which i just loved her doing.

and ronnie going back at least 15 yrs when playing stephen hendry in the uk championship just quit his match with hendry when a few frames behind.

alex and ronnie are crowd pleasers you could say flawed geniuses but bring so much pl
                                easure where ever they play/did play

Same applies to football where I worship Zidane of course ..

It’s not as though these people are saving lives or anything yet they’re held in such high esteem

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                                X