Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snooker

Originally posted by darren View Post
    as a watcher of snooker for over 30 yrs ive seen so many players but one reason players such as ronnie and alex and even jimmy white are treated like gods is because they are controversial in both what they say and do on and off the table.

for instance when alex headbutted ref len ganley and a magic moment when alex won in 1982 holding his baby girl gets me teary thinking of it,and 30 yrs later she visited the crucible which i just loved her doing.

and ronnie going back at least 15 yrs when playing stephen hendry in the uk championship just quit his match with hendry when a few frames behind.

alex and ronnie are crowd pleasers you could say flawed geniuses but bring so much pl
    easure where ever they play/did play
    They are my three favourite players by a mile .. oddly

I’m not criticising people for worshipping celebs ( well maybe those who idolise talentless nonentities like the Kardashians ) ..

I idolise a few footballers , few boxers ,a MotoGP rider , a speedway rider .. it just seems odd when I think about what they ACTUALLY do ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 27-03-2019, 18:18.

Comment

Re: Snooker

Ah the 80s, when snooker was on primetime TV, everyone knew the snooker players and Darts players names.

I remember when my parents bought us a snooker table, it was a scaled down one but still just about fit in the dining room (when we moved the dining table). We'd deliberately try and land shots against one cushion as the only way to play that was with the front half of a screw fit cue due to the wall position.

Still, it was a step up from this which we had in the 70s:

edit: ooops, didn't mean for the image to be that big!

Comment

I didn't know that Sid James played snooker.
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I watched the World Snooker Final on Monday night and something had occurred to me, and I assume you can understand where I am going with this - Lyndon B Johnson wasn't President of the United States when Joe Johnson won; Woodrow Wilson was never in the White House when Kyren, Gary or any other Wilson might have won; Jimmy Carter's stint as President wouldn't have been at the same time as Ali Carter etc...

In a nutshell, is this the first time that a snooker player who has the same surname as an incumbent American President has won the World Snooker Championship?
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Great snooker on the TV at this time of year (where in January, I refer to sport on TV as the Bulls, Balls, and Bowls season - darts, snooker and bowls of course).
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

It's so great having all these snooker tournaments on every week!
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                It's so great having all these snooker tournaments on every week!
                I like to dip in and out, same with the darts
                Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                  I like to dip in and out, same with the darts
                  Let's hope it's not dipping in and out the pockets. Geddit?
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

ITS THNKS TO BARRY HEARN.

U HAVE THE CORAL SERIES HOME NATIONS SERIES TRIPLE CROWN SERIES.

GO BACK 10 YRS YOU ONLY HAD SIX RANKING EVENTS NOW YOU HAVE 16 PLUS MANY INVITATIONAL EVENTS.

EVENTS YOU CAN ONLY QUALIFY FO
                    R BY WINNING OTHER EVENTS.

TOURNAMENTS WHERE ONLY THE TOP 8 OR 16 PLAYERS WHO HAVE WON THE PRIZE MONEY GET INTO.

TOURNAMENTS IN COUNTRIES UD NEVER HAVE EXPECTED.

It's so great having all thes
                    e snooker tournaments on every week!
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Hearn did make snooker popular in the 1980s - without him it would have been an underground sport. He was responsible for a lot of eighties names such as Kirk Stevens, Tony Meo, Doug Mountjoy, Drago, and others.

Appearances outside the sport really helped boost their profiles - remember the 1980s BBC quiz show Pot the Question? It was on around seven or eight years before Big Break started and a lot of Barry Hearne names guested on there. And of course, they made appearances in adverts at the time as well - the Carling Black Label one from the mid 1980s with Len Ganley crushing the cue ball in dust is one example. Steve Davis was everywhere in the 1980s - he made cameos in drama series, children's TV (Blue Peter, and perhaps a Dramarama?), adverts (Heinz Bakes Beans and Cross and Blackwell come to mind), and other places.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I remember Denis Taylor being in an advert for the Today newspaper, putting on a massive pair of his trifocals & playing at a snooker table with far more reds in the triangle as usual.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

So as much as i enjoyed watching the final of the welsh open it was over disappointingly fast with Murphy crushing Wilson 9 frames to 1, Wilson diden't play terribly he was simply outclassed by Murphy who was on brilliant form
                          Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

I was watching the current snooker championship just now and there are two players who can call themselves J Jones - Jak Jones and Jamie Jones, and Jak Jones had to be listed at the bottom of the screen by both first and last name.

The only other example would be Dennis Taylor and David Taylor, but did they ever officially play in the same tournaments together?

I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I have got the snooker on BBC 2 from Ally Pally and both players are called Wilson - Kyren and Gary. I can't remember any professional match where two players with the same surname have played against each other, although I am sure it has happened in the past.

Steve Davis must have played Mark Davis at some point, as well as Dennis and David Taylor, although Alex Higgins were from different eras and probably didn't meet professionally.

I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post

You also had from australia michael campbell and warren king and canadians kirk stevens ,bill werbiniuk.

Silvino and peter francisco from sth africa and dene o kane from new zealand.
                                Silvino was banned fo
                                r 5 yrs for match fixing
                                I think it was actually Peter who was banned.

Comment

Working...
                                X