Royal Weddings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Weddings

I am quite a Royalist these days as I enjoyed William and Kate saying "I do" in 2011, as well as the jubilees and other big royal events, but I remember as a 1980s youngster feeling a bit bored about the thing happening all day.

The biggest one within our three decades was Charles marrying Diana in July 1981, two days after Ken and Deirdre did the same in Coronation Street - (ditto April 2005 regarding three of them). Regarding the time and events, I thought that 29th July 1981 was the day when the 1970s finally ended and the 1980s had begun right there if you know what I mean. There was also Andrew and Fergie five years later, also in July - that was the one that I remember as a seven year old - sometimes memory can confuse the two. Pity that they nearly all ended in divorce.

Others were Princess Anne marrying Captain Mark Phillips on Charles' 25th birthday in November 1973, before I was born, (the low-key event of Anne marrying Tim Lawrence in 1992), and at the other end of the time scale, Prince Edward marrying Sophie in June 1999.

I remember my parents getting a Charles and Diana mug which my mother proudly put on the shelf of the wall unit and stayed there for many years. And keeping the copies of The Sun and the Daily Star (only 12p).

Any Royal Wedding memories, such as waving Union Jack flags around getting the bunting out?
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: Royal Weddings

'Pay yer blinking taxes!"

Joking apart, our constitutional monarchy is probably the 'least worst' option. Imagine President Boris, President Farage or "Ohhh, Pres-i-dent Corbyn!!!"

With reference to another thread, I'd rather have Charles and Camilla singing 'Pass the Duchy from the left hand side'.

Comment

We would lose our identity as a country if we ever lost the monarchy - it would be like losing the Union Jack off the British flag. I don't want a president like the United States.
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

In 1973 my mom worked part-time cleaning a house. Her employer asked us to watch the royal wedding on her 26" Grundig. It was my mom and I, plus her employer's daughter and friend who saw the wedding in glorious colour while scoffing hot dogs my mom made.

In 1981 I watched the wedding off and on, but took the opportunity to also service my dad's car. I have to say it was a spectacular wedding and Diana looked lovely. I also remember that famous balcony kiss and the cheers of the crowd.

In 1986 I watched some of Andrew and Fergie's wedding, but I seem to have it in my mind that it was not too good a day weather-wise where we live so I didn't take the opportunity to do any car maintenance

I hardly remember Edward and Sophie's nuptuals.

William and Kate's wedding was nice but somehow I wasn't really excited by it. Actually, my wife's foreign relatives were far more excited, asking me lots of questions about the ceremony. William and Harry looked extremely smart.

I guess we will also have Harry's wedding to whomever at some time in the future, and I suppose that will be the last for quite a while.

Comment

Actually, I've just remembered that I had to pop into town the day of William and Kate's wedding. Most shops were closed but the one I needed was open. The staff had a TV set up and were watching the wedding as I was served.

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
            I don't want a president like the United States.
            I've always thought Trump looks and behaves like an older version of Vicky Pollard. "Mexico's rubbish innit."

Comment

Although I used to hate Bank Holidays when I was younger as I used to get bored, I quite like the extra Bank Holidays that we had for royal weddings, jubilees and the like, and it makes a nice change in addition to the May Day Bank Holiday, the one at the end of August and so on.

If (or when) Harry gets married, it might get just five minutes' mention on the news, or it could be a couple of hours' coverage of it - I don't think it will be as big as William's. Just like Andrew's wasn't as big as Charles' was.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I wonder is the reason it charles and diana.s wedding was an all day event because of who they where or was it a bigger thing back then royal weddings i mean.

I do have some memories of it it did go on all day di
                dnt it.
                Originally posted by george 1978 View Post
                i am quite a royalist these days as i enjoyed william and kate saying "i do" in 2011, as well as the jubilees and other big royal events, but i remember as a 1980s youngster feeling a bit bored about the thing happening all day.

The biggest one within our three decades was charles marrying diana in july 1981, two days after ken and deirdre did the same in coronation street - (ditto april 2005 regarding three of them). Regarding the time and events, i thought that 29th july 1981 was the day when the 1970s finally ended and the 1980s had begun right there if you know what i mean. There was also andrew and fergie five years later, also in july - that was the one that i remember as a seven year old - sometimes memory can confuse the two. Pity that they nearly all ended in divorce.

Others were princess anne marrying captain mark phillips on charles' 25th birthday in november 1973, before i was born, (the low-key event of anne marrying tim lawrence in 1992), and at the other end of the time scale, prince edward marrying sophie in june 1999.

I remember my parents getting a charles and diana mug which my mother proudly put on the shelf of the wall unit and stayed there for many years. And keeping the copies of the sun and the daily star (only 12p).

Any royal wedding memories, such as waving union jack flags around getting the bunting out?
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I think the Charles/Diana wedding was so big because he was heir to the throne, and to a lesser extent due to the public having taken Diana to their heart in a way they never did with Fergie.

Comment

We had a day off school for Princess Anne's one
                    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                      We had a day off school for Princess Anne's one
                      You would have definitely had a day off school for her second wedding because it fell on a Saturday.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                        You would have definitely had a day off school for her second wedding because it fell on a Saturday.
                        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

And of course Harry will join the 'Club as of next year.
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I do not remember the wedding of Princess Anne to Phillip but I do remember the stamps commemorating it from 1973.Funny how some little things stick in the memory but the major ones do not.Princess Diana and Charlie's wedding we had a party to celebrate that. Nan organised a big family and friend event like she did for the jubilee. Think I was more interested at the time in getting back home so I could be with a few friends. Never really been all that friendly with my cousins. Looking back now I am older I miss those family get together times.

Since then I have not really taken much notice of any other royal weddings.

Comment

The special stamps issued for Princess Anne's wedding I remember very well. I was into stamp collecting in a big way and my mum showed me the stamps. I begged her to let me have them for my album and I still have them now. I have one of each value, but I am not sure if only 2 different values were issued.

Comment

Working...
                              X