Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Eccentric election candidates/political parties in the 70s/80s

Default Re: Eccentric election candidates/political parties in the 70s/80s

big-interview-marc-almond-i-find-that-modern-youth-modern-life-is-becoming-so-conservative-1-8185557

This is exactly right and highly relevant to the above discussion.
    Last edited by Silver Bear; 5 Days Ago at 13:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Bear View Post
    I find it hard to understand the cult of Jeremy Corbyn. He's a dreary little man with a whiny, droning voice and a bureaucratic, extreme politically correct mentality. He wants everyone to be 'equal' under the state - equally poor, stupid and mediocre, that is. His Shadow Cabinet is 'gender balanced' and that tells you all you need to know: he doesn't even appoint people on merit.

There probably be would be British 'boat people' if he got in.
    Many people are fed up with a Tory government who treats anyone with less than mid 5 figure income with complete contempt, especially as they led the right wing media dictate too much too them, along with too many working class "goons" who are fooled into voting against their best interests by playing the race card.

At the moment Labour are the only choice, & with a more centre ground leader they would well ahead in the polls,
    The Trickster On The Roof

We are far less well-informed than we were in the 70s and 80s because much of the mass media is dominated by Z-list celeb culture and general blandness. There is a culture of PC hysteria which all of the political parties are part of - and we are all lumped into groups based on acronyms rather than treated as individuals. There there is the snowflake culture where everyone is constantly 'offended' by the least thing. The result is that even ordinary conversation is going to become a daring adventure. Who needs dictatorship when you can have political correctness and dumbing-down?

... Usually laugh at all the PC drivel, but stepping back I realise that it's actually not funny but quite scary. ...
    It's what happens if you let the right wing media get out of control, nearly 40 years of the tail wagging the dog.

We are far less well-informed than we were in the 70s and 80s because much of the mass media is dominated by Z-list celeb culture and general blandness. There is a culture of PC hysteria which all of the political parties are part of - and we are all lumped into groups based on acronyms rather than treated as individuals. There there is the snowflake culture where everyone is constantly 'offended' by the least thing. The result is that even ordinary conversation is going to become a daring adventure. Who needs dictatorship when you can have political correctness and dumbing-down?

... Usually laugh at all the PC drivel, but stepping back I realise that it's actually not funny but quite scary. ...
    I disagree with this. The internet has enabled parties from outside of the Lib-Lab-Con establishment to cut through the media blackout that they faced in the 20th century. It has strongly contributed to the successes of the Green Party, UKIP, and the BNP.

Any historian of politics cannot miss how the BNP transformed themselves from a fringe party with a couple of hundred members in 1996 into a serious political force in 2010 with two MEPs and a strong showing in the general election.

Quote Originally Posted by Arran View Post
    Any historian of politics cannot miss how the BNP transformed themselves from a fringe party with a couple of hundred members in 1996 into a serious political force in 2010 with two MEPs and a strong showing in the general election.
    Though almost straight after UKIP stole their ideas, & now the Tories have borrowed from UKIP, though it's not worked as well as they hoped.

It's as I mentioned before the fringe parties can get a boost if they push an idea the main parties won't touch, but hen they do the fringe ones fade away.

They sort of ... rose without trace, in the sense that they didn't 'do' anything with their MEPs and Council seats. Unlike the Liberals in the 70s, they didn't get into community politics in a big way. They had only one idea (race and immigration) and that didn't translate into practical policies. I suppose the current emphasis on the 'white working class' is a lasting legacy, taken up by Ukip and the Brexiteers. Last time I looked - and I admit that I see this through an urban and specifically London lens - the working class was not just white, but very likely to be black or mixed race. In fact many working class areas are far more multi-ethnic than middle-class suburbs.

BTW, I have always wondered if Nick Griffin is really an obese woman dressed as a man. He looked a bit 'non-binary' and had a high-pitched voice with a slight nasal twang: in fact he was an almost exact soundalike for Caroline Wyatt, who used to be the BBC's Defence and then Religious Affairs correspondent.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    Though almost straight after UKIP stole their ideas, & now the Tories have borrowed from UKIP, though it's not worked as well as they hoped.

It's as I mentioned before the fringe parties can get a boost if they push an idea the main parties won't touch, but hen they do the fringe ones fade away.
    UKIP seem to have been similar to the BNP at local level, i.e. they did bugger all when they were elected and so didn't build up any local loyalty. And Paul Nuttall was a bit of a pound shop version of Farage.

Before 1987 the election deposit was £100 but it was only returned to candidates who managed to win at least 12.5% of the vote.
    The deposit was actually £150 from when it was introduced in 1918 right up until 1985.

UKIP seem to have been similar to the BNP at local level, i.e. they did bugger all when they were elected and so didn't build up any local loyalty. And Paul Nuttall was a bit of a pound shop version of Farage.
    I've heard a few amusing stories about UKIP & BNP elected candidates not having a clue what to do after being elected.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    UKIP were soft as butter on immigration back in the early 2000s. Anybody who dared to question the government's immigration policy or claim that immigration is too high was suspected to be an infiltrator from the BNP. It's not clear whether UKIP toughened up their stance on immigration because they had realised that immigration genuinely was too high or whether they were worried about the rise of BNP support on the back of public sentiment about immigration.

UKIP were always weak at local level and their members were unenthusiastic about local politics because most of them joined to free Britain from the EU rather than deal with mundane matters like grass verges and blocked drains.