Sinclair Radios, TV & other pre-computer products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sinclair Radios, TV & other pre-computer products

Before Clive Sinclair started making calculators & later computers he produced a number of radio & other audio equipment kits.

This was followed by a range of portable TVs & an early digital watch.

Does anyone have any memories of these? The computers & the C5 have a few threads but the previous stuff from Sir Clive hasn't been mentioned much.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Re: Sinclair Radios, TV & other pre-computer products

Wasn't wind up radio's by Clive Sinclair?
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
      Wasn't wind up radio's by Clive Sinclair?
      No that was Trevor Baylis.

Comment

There was a digital multimeter in the late 1970s. My electronics teacher at college once had one.

I'm sure that Clive Sinclair came up with an affordable push-button phone some time in the 1970s but Post Office Telephones would not approve it for connection to their network.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
          No that was Trevor Baylis.
          oh ok thanks Richard
          sigpic
          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
            There was a digital multimeter in the late 1970s. My electronics teacher at college once had one.

I'm sure that Clive Sinclair came up with an affordable push-button phone some time in the 1970s but Post Office Telephones would not approve it for connection to their network.
            I've not heard of the phone, but GPO / BT used to be very strict about any 3rd party equipment being connected to a phone line.

Clive Sinclair came up with a few prototypes over the years that never got into production.

Comment

One if my relatives was fortunate enough to be working at Sharp by just when PCs took off and ended up moving upwards rapidly in the company - he was earning a ridiculous amount of money the height of their success ... celebrity style
              wages ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                One if my relatives was fortunate enough to be working at Sharp by just when PCs took off and ended up moving upwards rapidly in the company - he was earning a ridiculous amount of money the height of their success ... celebrity style
                wages ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                I remember BBC4 had a documentary about the 8-bit era of computing a few years ago.

A few companies had boom & bust periods, often they did well until had more orders than they could handle, or else crashed (no pun intended!) when their niche was taken by a better machine.

Comment

I was a tv engineer in the late 80s and bought a couple of these as non runners. Got one working but it was a pain trying to get a decent signal.and by the time you did the batteries had run out....

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, the Achilles' heel of handheld TVs was how long batteries lasted. In my Casio, Duracells lasted 30 mins and ordinary cheaper ones 5 mins.

I remember seeing Sinclair watches for sale. I got the impression that they were considered as being at the lower end of the market.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post

Before 1984 when BT was privatised, AFAIK most phones were hard wired with no socket. So you couldn't easily change phones anyway.

We moved house in 1984, and we still had the old type black phone with a chrome dial.

Sinclair had been going for some time though. My dad used to get electronics mags in the 1960s, and Sinclair used to advertise the "Sinclair Micro 6" a miniature, earphone only transistor radio back then.

Comment

Working...
                      X