Shakin' Stevens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shakin' Stevens

He was just like Elvis Presley in denim, and I think that he was inspired by not only Elvis, but also the Travolta/Happy Days/1950s nostalgia boom that was in the latter half of the 1970s.

I have just bid on a 1982 Look In on EBay that features him on it.

He was also the inspiration for the denim outfits in the photo shoots that I did a few years ago.

That man was cool, and he still does, even if is just an early 1980s icon.

Pity that a lot of his songs were of mostly cover versions of 1950s hits - fair enough but it did allow those hits to be heard for a new generation, and it probably saved getting new writers in however.

And of course the ironic lyric in "This Ole House!" - "This Old House is getting Shaky..."

As far as I am concerned, Michael Barratt was a newsreader on the BBC, and not an alias for Shakin' Stevens.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: Shakin' Stevens

Just loved Shakin' Stevens
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Yuo Drive My Crazy is probably my favourite song by him.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I was more in to The Jam and The Police.

Comment

I never liked him - I thought he was just a Karoke singer in essence in a pub!! I am unsure how he ever got on to be honest!

I think I liked his Xmas song the best (though it's name evades me sorry), which was sort of ok to average as a song

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post
            I was more in to The Jam and The Police.
            Love The Jam & all things punk though as for the jam I reckon they were on the border of punk
            sigpic
            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
              I never liked him - I thought he was just a Karoke singer in essence in a pub!! I am unsure how he ever got on to be honest!
              I suppose he wasn't "original" as such, but you could argue that impressionists and those who were on Stars in their Eyes were not original acts either. Even Cliff Richard or Tom Jones might not be seen as original in many ways.

Shaky's 1985 Christmas number one was called "Merry Christmas Everyone", which was not to be confused with Slade's "Merry Xmas Everybody". He also had a minor Christmas hit in 1990 as well. And he covered Blue Christmas as well.

Looking forward to hearing all those on the Christmas music stations that Heart and Magic have launched up until Christmas.
              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                I suppose he wasn't "original" as such, but you could argue that impressionists and those who were on Stars in their Eyes were not original acts either. Even Cliff Richard or Tom Jones might not be seen as original in many ways.

Shaky's 1985 Christmas number one was called "Merry Christmas Everyone", which was not to be confused with Slade's "Merry Xmas Everybody". He also had a minor Christmas hit in 1990 as well. And he covered Blue Christmas as well.

Looking forward to hearing all those on the Christmas music stations that Heart and Magic have launched up until Christmas.
                I wish all the stations ( radio and TV) would at least wait till December 1st !!
                Grrrrrrrrr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Ha, I was just thinking of looking for a compilation of old Shakin'! They show his This Ole House video on a channel here sometimes still. I had the single of You Drive Me Crazy alongside Stray Cats, and Rocky Burnette. What's not to dig?
                  My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Working...
                  X