Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sunday Morning telly

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
    I've got the feeling Fraggle Rock was originally shown on Sunday teatimes, with ITV hoping it would be family fare like The Muppet Show, but soon seemed to be shown earlier in the day.
    Probably one of those regional things. I always think of Bullseye when it came to Sunday teatimes. There was also All Clued Up, and also Now You See It - STV's game show - it had a Family Fortunes-alike Mr Babbage grid board with yellow word search-type letters, and contestants had to say in response "row 3, line 5 - Germany" or something like that in response to a question. There were no diagonal answers, always across or down, and the board rotated in a "Blankety Blank" sort of way.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
      Probably one of those regional things. I always think of Bullseye when it came to Sunday teatimes. There was also All Clued Up, and also Now You See It - STV's game show - it had a Family Fortunes-alike Mr Babbage grid board with yellow word search-type letters, and contestants had to say in response "row 3, line 5 - Germany" or something like that in response to a question. There were no diagonal answers, always across or down, and the board rotated in a "Blankety Blank" sort of way.
      Maybe Granada liked to show it later at first.

IIRC Bullseye was shown on a Saturday evening at one time, or was this another regional rescheduling?

Some ITV companies showed the ill-fated Albion Market as a omnibus on Sunday lunchtime rather than on Friday & Sunday evenings.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Bullseye was shown on Saturday evenings when it had its "Roger Rabbit" "Bully climbing down the studio steps, hugging Jim Bowen and trashing the star prize" opening titles just before it ended in the mid 1990s. That is probably the reason why the Bowen version ended - they thought that as Big Break was doing so well for snooker, that Bullseye should be a darts clone of it. Bowen and Tony Green doing longer opening gambits at the start of each episode was so cringe-making.

I don't recall Central showing an omnibus of Albion Market, and I don't recall any regional variations of it. You would have thought that Granada would have consolidated with Coronation Street rather bring out Albion Market - I am not surprised that it didn't last very long. Still, it gave Helen Shapiro a bit of work when it must have been drying up for her in the mid 1980s, and gave her a chance to shake off that "Charlotte Church of the early 1960s" identity that she had for 25 years up until then.
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

What was TV-AM like on Sundays?

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
            What was TV-AM like on Sundays?
            Money was so tight (as well as the union difficulties that they had) that they even shown RSPB films at 6.00 am on Sundays in the late 1980s.

Children's shows come to mind such as Are You Awake Yet? had this boy puppet character that looked like one of Jim Henson's characters.

Dappledown Farm was this children's farm series that had Brian Cant as a farmer was also on Sunday mornings - it had animal puppets as well as a horse, and I am certain that one of the voices used to voice characters on YTV shows like Puddle Lane and The Riddlers - considering that David Claridge was the puppeteer for Roland Rat and Mooncat (as well as Bruce Gyngell's associations with TV-am and YTV) made this not much of a coincidence.

TV-am's religion editor Rowanne Pasco used to do some religious message on Sunday mornings as well.

The Wide Awake Club might have ran on Sundays as well - I can't remember.

And of course there was David Frost on Sunday, interviewing politicians and the like. Jonathan Dimbleby and Anne Diamond stood in for Frost as well. Sometimes the programme was recorded on Saturday afternoons, allowing Frost and his guests a bit of a lie in on a Sunday morning.
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Children's shows come to mind such as Are You Awake Yet? had this boy puppet character that looked like one of Jim Henson's characters.
              He was called Terry or Tony, though I used to call him "Melon Gob" because his head looked like a melon with a slice out of it!

Comment

He was called Terry or Tony, though I used to call him "Melon Gob" because his head looked like a melon with a slice out of it!
                He reminds me of that "little boy" puppet character that Ronn Lucas used to have on his show. I used to think that there was some connection with the Muppets or Jim Henson at least because of the similarity of the puppets.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I just remembered that on the 7th IBAOTN, which was seen ironically two days after TV-am went off air, it had an outtake from Dappledown Farm with Cant trying to apply some green tissue paper with Copydex-alike glue onto an eggbox-alike dinosaur model while on a ledge before the dinosaur falls off the ledge.

And the following outtake had Frost in the TV-am studio trying to interview a correspondent in Warsaw, and Frost shouting: "IS THIS A DIFFICULT TIME FOR GEORGE BUSH?" After the correspondent said that he couldn't hear him, Frost terminated the interview and concluded by saying: "I suppose you can't shout from London and be heard in Warsaw". Nevertheless it did almost expose the limited available technology that TV-am had at its station for obvious reasons.
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

There have only ever been two things worth watching on Sunday mornings. Repeats of the first couple of series of "The Adventure Game" before it got a bit silly, and Lee & Herring's "This Morning With Richard Not Judy".

Comment

Yes, the name Terry rings a bell. It was like an actual programme within TV-am if you know what I mean.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Yes, the name Terry rings a bell. It was like an actual programme within TV-am if you know what I mean.
                        Yes that's right, it took me a long time to work out TV-AM wasn't just a programme.

Comment

1990s Disney Club on ITV was the only thing i enjoyed on a Sunday morning, great shows like Gummi Bears and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Moondog View Post
                            1990s Disney Club on ITV was the only thing i enjoyed on a Sunday morning, great shows like Gummi Bears and such.
                            Yes, Scottish Television did that programme. Ironic considering STV and Disney were both shareholders of GMTV.

What's Up Doc? was the Warner Brothers equivalent of that.
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                            X