Sunday Morning telly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday Morning telly

I found/came across the Satu7rday Mornuing telly thread, but try as much as I did - can not find a Sunday one!!

Who else recalls when sunday Morning - even extending the Morning by 2 hours to 2pm - that Sunday telly was brilliant before the Internet wrecked it all .... or as The Buggles said Video Killed The Radio Star and Robbie williams sang Reality Killed The Video Star (a play on words I know lol)

Going back to Sunday Morning TV - it sure is cult now just like Saturday's is and not just for Kids Shows but like Gazetta Football Italia, World Sport (I think it changed between Sats and Sunds), Duppledown Frm etc and aqll the kids shows including like the O-Zone ... when kids TV mattered/was important - let alone on a Sunday - which made it a game-changer in my opion. Then if you wanted eastEnders - the Omnibus used to start areound Lunchtime-ish - which was worth watching alone before all this "on demand telly" etc etc

Even before all this I can recall things from the real early 90s like The Golden Girls, Little House On the Prary etc too - that all mixed in mwith others made for a great and easily 6 hours viewing!

80sChav

Re: Sunday Morning telly

Apart from the odd stand out show I never found Sunday daytime TV that interesting compared to Saturdays.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

The TV set was hardly on in my house on a Sunday morning back in the 1970s and 1980s - we had the radio on with Dennis McCarthy on BBC Radio Nottingham doing his Family Jackpot and Wanted Column of the Air, as well as Tara with a record and some jokes (Apologies for anyone not local to the Nottingham area like I am). My family didn't really go to church either, save for one Sunday morning in 1994.

Occasionally however, it was mostly either Play School on BBC 1 or David Frost on TV-am and then the TV was off for the radio. I am glad that in 1993 the OU was elbowed out of the way for CBBC on Sunday mornings, which meant repeats of Grange Hill as well as other things, and Channel 4 didn't do too badly either, with the cartoon Dennis (Mitchell, not the Menace), and Saved by the Bell, until the Hollyoaks omnibus took up too much time.

Going back ten years or so before that, apart from the church services, it was still DIY programmes, and learn to speak Italian, and Asian community programming on BBC 1, OU on BBC 2, farming, painting along with Nancy, and learning to read on ITV.

And don't get me started on the EastEnders omnibus either - I would rather have the test card on for an hour. I used to hate Sundays in the 1980s when you couldn't even find an open shop to buy a loaf of bread.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

And of course Channel 4 repeated Worzel Gummidge on Sunday mornings circa 1987 (complete with Southern ident, five years after they bit the dust); and they also shown The Waltons, Lost in Space and Little House on the Prairie.

Sundays only got better with a good film, and of course, Bullseye.
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

[QUOTE=George 1978;219984]

Going back ten years or so before that, apart from the church services, it was still DIY programmes, and learn to speak Italian, and Asian community programming on BBC 1, OU on BBC 2, farming, painting along with Nancy, and learning to read on ITV. QUOTE]
          sigpic
          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
            Going back ten years or so before that, apart from the church services, it was still DIY programmes, and learn to speak Italian, and Asian community programming on BBC 1, OU on BBC 2, farming, painting along with Nancy, and learning to read on ITV.
            That's all I remember too; the church services; especially Songs of Praise unless it was in the evening like it is now
            sigpic
            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Channel 4 seemed to get the odd good repeat like The Munsters or Lost In Space, though it could be Follyfoot, but that was a good excuse to laugh at the 1970s fashions.

Umbrella was one of those programmes where the title sequence was more interesting than the actual show. The upbeat theme & hands of all nations dance. BBC2 had the weakest schedule for a long time apart from CBBC & Sunday Grandstand.

Normally after 6pm everything picked up for a good evening's viewing normally ending in a "mum's favourite" drama.

Comment

It's also interesting that despite Sundays being associated with religion, it can just as much be associated with politics, when you think about David Frost, and programmes like Weekend World; This Week Next Week or whatever it was called. There was something rather sober about Sundays seeing senior politicians being interviewed. I think of politicians as being a "weekday" thing, and even constituency duties don't take place on a Sunday.

Follyfoot repeats were on Sunday morning ITV, and I think that Black Beauty ended up there as well.

Give me Sunday evenings instead - Hale and Pace, Spitting Image, That's Life!, and even Prisoner: Cell Block H.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

IIRC, wasn't Batman (1960s) series shown on a Sunday morning around 11:00 am?
                  Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

I remember On The Record being another "watch for the titles only" show, with that Big Ben Crocodile roaring.

There was a phase of the BBC putting shows normally on a Sunday on a Saturday for a time, All Creatures Great & Small, Bergerac & That's Life come to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                      There was a phase of the BBC putting shows normally on a Sunday on a Saturday for a time, All Creatures Great & Small, Bergerac & That's Life come to mind.
                      I never liked it when they moved That's Life! to Saturdays in the early 1990s, even though it was on Saturdays when it started in 1973. It always felt like a Sunday evening show to me.

I didn't like it when CBBC moved the Grange Hill repeats from Sundays to Saturday mornings in the mid 1990s either so that Fully Booked could run on Sunday mornings.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

The "On The Record" titles were a Sunday highlight for me. Plus the theme tunes to The Waltons and Highway meant for me "school tomorrow".

Comment

It was worth catching the end titles of Highway for the rare glimpse of one of the logos of one of the smaller ITV companies at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                            It was worth catching the end titles of Highway for the rare glimpse of one of the logos of one of the smaller ITV companies at the end.
                            You could correctly guess which ITV company made it as a result of which place Sir Harry Secombe was visiting. If he was visiting John O'Groats or the Orkneys, then it would obviously be a Grampian logo at the end of it.
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Great Sunday morning theme tune never watched the show though.
                              https://youtu.be/Y2dpq4sExgs

Comment

Working...
                              X