Bemuda Shorts circa 1989

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bemuda Shorts circa 1989

During the summer of 1989 I remember that we had quite warm days. I was in the final year at Junior School and was about to move to the big comprehensive school half a mile away.

One thing I do remember is that so many people wore coloured shorts at playtime during the summer term, and I suppose that these would look garish now just as much as early 1970s fashions did years before then even. The school didn't have uniform until well over a decade after I had left.

I bet that they even had the flip-flops to match as well.

I personally blamed Timmy Mallet (and perhaps Pat Sharp?) for this craze, for they both seemed to be the most famous people to wear them. Thankfully, I didn't wear them back then.

It is the main thing that I remember about 1989 from a fashion perspective, as well as moving schools, and all the other obvious 1989 memories such as Hillsborough, the Reynolds Girls and Big Fun in the charts, and Maurice Jones bulldozing Mike Baldwin's factory on Coronation Street.

Anyone wear coloured shorts back then?
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: Bemuda Shorts circa 1989

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
    During the summer of 1989 I remember that we had quite warm days. I was in the final year at Junior School and was about to move to the big comprehensive school half a mile away.

One thing I do remember is that so many people wore coloured shorts at playtime during the summer term, and I suppose that these would look garish now just as much as early 1970s fashions did years before then even. The school didn't have uniform until well over a decade after I had left.

I personally blamed Timmy Mallet (and perhaps Pat Sharp?) for this craze, for they both seemed to be the most famous people to wear them. Thankfully, I didn't wear them back then.

It is the main thing that I remember about 1989 from a fashion perspective, as well as moving schools, and all the other obvious 1989 memories such as Hillsborough, the Reynolds Girls and Big Fun in the charts, and Maurice Jones bulldozing Mike Baldwin's factory on Coronation Street.

It was more Bemuda Shirts round my way George , than the Shortts - though we had both I recall/remember

It was quite a short lived craze I recall too though

80sChav

Comment

I had a couple of pairs in the summer of 1989, there were both loose & tight versions, like cycling shorts.

They seemed to be a 1 season wonder, with things being more subdued in 1990s.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Bermuda shorts are still around if you know where to look. I have seen photos of kids wearing the garish coloured ones but they were a bit before my time. When did they go out of fashion?

Comment

i remember my cousin buying a pair when they were released. he looked like a right knob with his chicken legs on display.

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post

Thinking back more into this craze, George I think a few wore them as well PE Shorts for PE at my first Secondary, as I was in the 2nd Year in 1989 (or Year 8 in Today's currency) and being 11/12 is when every trend/fad going imaginable occurs I seem to recall or have that hunch about when thinking/re-collecting such things

80sChav

Comment

Yes, this was the peak year for Bermuda shorts, the brighter the better! I had a pair which had multicoloured splodges covered with black squiggles. Hideous but bang on point at the time.
              1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
              X