Old Cassette Tape Brands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Old Cassette Tape Brands

Well thanks to this thread I've only just learned that there were different types of cassette. Memorex, BASF, TDK and Phillips are the ones I remember kicking around the house but I didn't realise you could get different types. Could explain why I always thought some of the tapes sounded a bit tinny when I recorded things onto them.
    1976 Vintage

Comment

There were demo tapes where artistes would record a test cassette which you could find in record shops sold cheaply
      sigpic
      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post

Many of us remember the transparent cassette tapes in the later half of the 1980s and 1990s that were made by TDK, Sony, Maxell and others, but what about the brands that were around in the 1970s and early 1980s?

One brand that springs to mind was Contek which I often saw around the house, and in one or two early 1980s Argos catalogues as well. My mother used to have at least three of the C90s but there was also a C60 version as well.

And there was also Sakura which only did C60s as far as I know. I remember playing some of them and found a 1980-1981 Top 30 chart recorded from Radio Trent.

Also, as we didn't have a VCR until the end of the decade, we did the "National Health" thing of putting the radio cassette recorder next to the speaker of the portable upstairs, and recording the sound off the TV, using the Sakura brand tapes. Found at least three tapes like this - one had TOTP from 1979-1980 - (can't remember the presenter, sadly). Another one had an hour or so of Charles and Diana's wedding on it; and another had the start of Channel 4, and by implication the very first episode of Countdown.

There were other brands, but I can't think of the brand names - there was one that did C60s, had white plastic and had orange-coloured logo label on it. Found some things like a Top 10 from 1977 on that one. And there was another brand that has black plastic and black and brown label on them. My sister used to record Paul Young tracks on her tape.

I know it sounds like an odd thing to ask, but does anyone remember these obscure brands of cassette tapes? And does anyone still have them? I am certain that I still have a Contek C90 in my home, somewhere...
        I used to have both of those!
        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Working...
        X