The Flying Kiwi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Flying Kiwi

Does anyone remember this TV series, which as the title suggests, was presumably from New Zealand, although I think that it was also a co-production with a TV station in the Netherlands or somewhere else in Western Europe?

It is not to be confused with a Westward TV documentary of the same name that was seen in that region in 1977, which had come up when I did a search on the title. Google and Wikipedia both seem none the wiser.

I don't really remember anything about it at all, apart from its theme tune which I have never forgotten.

Here is a 38 second clip of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2bMZuYL1EY

From around April 1981 right until early 1986, it had a huge number of scattered regional ITV showings, either on Saturday or Sunday mornings in the pre-Tiswas slot, or on summer holiday weekday mornings when schools programmes were off, usually on after Sesame Street. Some regions shown it on Thursday afternoons between 4.20 pm and 5.15 pm when CITV predecessor Watch It! took a day off. It could be seen in many daytime regional ITV slots until around 1986, when Sky shown it in the morning from around 1989 to 1991 - and that was long before I had satellite TV, I am afraid.

I think that ATV was the first region to show it on Saturday mornings; HTV and Southern had shown it in the Thursday Watch It! slot; Granada shown it on holiday mornings; Anglia shown it at Sunday lunchtime etc.

I suppose that one of the main reasons that it was forgotten was because it was an import from a British perspective, and was often on during the day when people were not usually watching TV.

I don't suppose anyone on here remembers it?
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: The Flying Kiwi

i remember the flying kiwi. my gran and aunt used to watch it.

Comment

Working...
    X