Walking out of school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walking out of school

Reading about this news article reminded me about my own adventure when I was around that age: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-42057195

I don't necessarily mean play truant, but I mean literally walk out of school simply because the door and the gate was ajar and one decided to take advantage of this unofficial freedom. Almost a la Suzanne Ross in series 7 of Grange Hill, but a lot younger. I suppose it's only seen as truancy if one is a lot older and have most of one's faculties intact.

I was never one of those in Year 10 who used to skive off to the newsagents at break time because Mars Bars were 5p cheaper across the road than the Tuck Shop or the vending machine, but when I was younger, things were a bit different...

I remember that it was close to home time. I was in the Infants, so I was no more than five or six at the time. The school door was ajar... I think that even back then I thought of Infant School was some sort of Fort Knox where the teachers were there in lieu of security guards, and if they tried to put barbed wire over the fences, I would understand why.

I went through the unlocked door, across the playground and through a gate that was open enough for me to get through. The school was just around the corner from the main road, and I think that my main reason for doing this was to look for the lollipop lady who would be going on duty, serving that main road. I remember playing chicken with the cars, and I remember a passer by saying "shouldn't you be in school?" or something... I knew at my young age, there was nowhere else for me to go, and I realised that I would give myself up - just as well a member of staff had ran after me and brought me back again, otherwise things would have probably been a lot different in the long run. I remember the lollipop lady making some comment like "nine lives" or something. Nevertheless, this incident had allowed the school to review its security arrangements. Indeed, perhaps G4S rather than the NASUWT should have supplied the teaching staff?

I never did anything like that when I was older, although due to the compatibility of my peer group, I was always tempted to leave and never come back.. In a nutshell, I hated school, but even more so when I got older into Year 7 territory and beyond.

When I attended a reunion at the same school a few years ago, I spend a weekend wracking my brain thinking of all the memories, good and bad that I remember at my Infant School, and so I wrote them down, including that one. I retold this story at the reunion as I thought that it would be interesting in hindsight, and they did find it interesting. Time is a great healer as they say...

Has anyone unofficially walked out of school, and had a "brief adventure", especially at such a young age? I doubt that anyone would have even thought of taking advantage of such a thing at such a young age...
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: Walking out of school

Jeez infant school eh? nope, I've never walked out, I do however remember only three main things about infant school
    1/ Mrs Abernathy was a lovely teacher
    2/ Mrs May was the headmaster
    3/ Christopher was the name of the skinny blonde headed lad who shat his pants while in the playground LOL
    I remember hearing distraught screaming and a group of girls and boys in a circle laughing, when I broke through,
    I was confronted with this poor lad standing there with trousers and underwear around his ankles and a huge jobbie
    nestling in the middle, think he was scarred for life, as was I :O why da fek do I still remember this? LOL
    DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

I remember on of my friends in another class claimed that a girl messed herself & managed to into some spare knickers in the lost property box kept in the stock room.

Unfortunately someone found her soiled pair hidden away in the stockroom.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember at my secondary school in 1978 there was a mass walk-out by pupils. If I recall correctly, teachers nationwide had been taking industrial action for some reason or other. There was resentment by the pupils at my school, particularly in year 5--would that be year 11 now? Anyway, I was in year 5--final year--and during the morning there was a lot of talk about doing something about it. Well, talk is cheap at school and I took little notice. At lunchtime I popped into town and when I came back for afternoon lessons hundreds of pupils had marched out and were walking to another secondary school about a mile or so away. They mainly seemed to be from my year and overwhelmingly boys. At afternoon registration I was the only boy there, along with most of the girls. The teachers appeared to be at a loss to know what to do. Afternoon lessons were canceled and we just stopped in our form-rooms until home time. I think a few teachers may have been sent to see what the marchers were doing and liaise with the other school. There was hell to pay next day and at least one boy was expelled--he was seen to be a ringleader though I have my doubts that he was.

Comment

I never remember any walkouts but I remember one April Fools Day some girls in my form decided to go on strike & not go to a lesson.

Stupidly they chose a French lesson taken by a teacher who was like a female Mr Bronson, who had to fetch them back into the lesson, as they were just hanging about near the tennis courts.

I can't remember what punishment they got but the teacher used to dish out lunchtime detentions if you didn't get your homework back to her the day after it was set, even if you didn't haven't have a lesson with her that day.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by culnara View Post
            2/ Mrs May was the headmaster
            Headmistress surely?

Amazing how many women with that surname seem get top jobs nowadays...
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
              I never remember any walkouts but I remember one April Fools Day some girls in my form decided to go on strike & not go to a lesson.

Stupidly they chose a French lesson taken by a teacher who was like a female Mr Bronson, who had to fetch them back into the lesson, as they were just hanging about near the tennis courts.

I can't remember what punishment they got but the teacher used to dish out lunchtime detentions if you didn't get your homework back to her the day after it was set, even if you didn't haven't have a lesson with her that day.
              I can't imagine what a female Mr Bronson would be like - she would probably be rather similar to Joan Ferguson out of PCBH.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

When I was at primary school. a group of us kids would sneak out over to the little shop break and lunchtime. We would buy cans of Bar shandy which IIRC was less than one percent alcohol.

We would drink it behind the bike shed; long before we thought of the other reason lol
                sigpic
                Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Working...
                X