Obsolescent cutlery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Obsolescent cutlery

An ebay search points in a direction that cake breakers were never made in Sheffield, or anywhere else in Britain.

There is a sardine fork that is very broad with short prongs used to remove sardines from a tin. I'm not sure if they are American or were manufactured and used in Britain.

Sardine tin keys have also fallen out of use.

Tea caddy spoons have largely disappeared along with the loose tea leaves that they scooped up. With the rise in popularity of ground coffee in recent years then they theoretically should have made a comeback, for coffee rather than tea, but most people just use cheap plastic scoops instead.

Comment

The cutlery used for Escargot or snails to you and me.

Comment

I have noticed that you can buy souvenir caddy spoons with enamel badges of the town on them. I'm not sure if they are meant to be used to scoop up tea leaves or coffee grounds with or are ornamental. The badges have a habit of detaching with use.

Lemon forks - smaller than a standard fork and the prongs often splay outwards. Still sometimes used by in cocktail bars or by lemon tea enthusiasts.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
          I have noticed that you can buy souvenir caddy spoons with enamel badges of the town on them. I'm not sure if they are meant to be used to scoop up tea leaves or coffee grounds with or are ornamental. The badges have a habit of detaching with use.
          My dad bought some of them in Germany in 1955 when he was on honeymoon with my mum. I think my brother has them now...
          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Now we have 'Sporks'. Mostly offered to people in police custody suites
            Attached Files
            sigpic
            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
              Now we have 'Sporks'. Mostly offered to people in police custody suites
              Surely they can break part of the end off sharpen it and it can still be used as a weapon..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Stainless steel pickle forks are difficult to find. Most pickle forks on eBay are silver, so I suspect that production of them almost ceased in the mid 20th century. Why?

I can understand production ceasing of oddities like aspic spoons because few people eat aspic this side of ww2 or bread forks as they are really frivolous gimmicks more than anything else, but people still extract pickles from jars.

I have bought myself a sardine fork. It's made in Sheffield and silver plated so they definitely were used in Britain at one time. It's interesting although I'm not sure if it's used to extract sardines from a tin and serve them or if you are supposed to eat sardines with it.

Comment

That pic Zincubus I Googled images. Yes you're correct. B&B at your local cop shop they are plastic
                  sigpic
                  Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Working...
                  X