Your Best Horror film.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Best Horror film.

Whenever I have my username as spookiemoviemania, or spookiefilmania it is usually accompanied by a screenshot from my all time favorite horror film...The Innocents. This British made classic scared the bejesus out of me when I was a kid and honestly still sends shivers thru me as a mature adult. I must have seen it 10 times..the last time only a month ago. For the uninitiated The Innocents tells the story of a yound governess employed to look after sibling children living with their housekeeper in a isolated, rambling old mansion. The days she arrives the governess sees visions of a man on the property tower. Soon after another vision of a woman in black appears. This is the start of a nitmare for the young woman as she battles against evil forces trying to possess the children. Who has seen this masterpiece?

Re: Your Best Horror film.

I watched The Thing From Another World last night - scared the pants off me when I saw it as a man-cub!

Still a great film! Watch the skies!!!

Attached Files
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

The Innocents is a bonafide classic, and, yes, it also scared me when I watched it as a nipper. The part when the governess sees the ghost of Miss Jessel across the lake is so chilling. Great performances from everyone and expertly-crafted direction. Even that creepy song at the beginning sends shivers up my spine.

Also, Robert Wise's The Haunting. A film where actually little happens but the atmosphere built up is truly frightening. The part when Eleanor is at the top of that spiral staircase and the trap door opens...oh, boy, the first time I saw that, it scared me so much I was reluctant to go to bed. A great soundtrack and title music. The remake was an utter travesty.

Comment

Cant say what my best is as i love so many most are pretty obscure.
        But house by the cemetery would be a possible best.
        Last edited by darren; 01-12-2017, 17:18.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Good choice, mate, but my favourite Fulci has to be Zombi 2 aka Zombie Flesh Eaters...and it has a connection to Wise's The Haunting as Richard Johnson starred in both.

Comment

Rosemary's Baby is a classic.

I adore the Hammer films. One in particular scene from a dracula film starring Christopher Lee gave me nightmares as a child. Dracula was in a dead state under a glacier. A priest climbing up the glacier falls and hits his head. The inevitable happens, as blood from the head trickles down into a crack in the ice sheet and drips into Dracula's mouth.

Comment

I grew up watching the Hammer films. Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing were my boyhood heroes. Preferred Dracula to Frankenstein if I have to be honest. Your synopsis sounds very much like Dracula Has Risen From the Grave (1968).

Rosemary's Baby would be closest to my leading American horror film. The Haunting (1963) is up there as well. I too have a preference for the psychological horror over the slasher. So Rebecca and Cape Fear also rate loftily.

Comment

My favorite is The Shining. So much so that I even have a little homage to the movie in my living room.

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
                  My favorite is The Shining. So much so that I even have a little homage to the movie in my living room.

I like The Shining too.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

That is very eerie. I'd get scared to have that in my room.

Comment

The exorcist scared me to death
                      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

I first saw The Exorcist at the cinema, where I thought it was very effective, but on TV I think it loses something of its power to shock. The scene towards the end when the priest leaps through the window and falls down a flight of stone steps really affected me when I saw it at the cinema, but on TV it didn't seem nearly as frightening. Shame more cinemas don't show classic horror films.

Comment

The Devils Backbone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                            The Devils Backbone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
                            Just checked this out on imdb, sounds intriguing but i find subtitles too much of a distraction when watching a film, not the only film with this title by the way, the other was 1971 western starring Richard crenna, also known as the deserters.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                              I first saw The Exorcist at the cinema, where I thought it was very effective, but on TV I think it loses something of its power to shock. The scene towards the end when the priest leaps through the window and falls down a flight of stone steps really affected me when I saw it at the cinema, but on TV it didn't seem nearly as frightening. Shame more cinemas don't show classic horror films.
                              Absolutely,this film had to be seen at the cinema for best effect. The church of England apparently got involved in trying to have it banned and in some regions of the country it was not shown, it took years to get a video release also. Ther have been many immitators since but none have come close.

Comment

Working...
                              X