Your Favorite Actor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Favorite Actor

Mine happens to be the one and only Donald Pleasence. I have rather a soft spot for Donald since he came to my country several decades ago to make the mystery Wake In Fright. Since then I must have watched just about everything the man has made. From his star turn on the classic wartime escape drama The Great Escape to Dr Loomis in the Halloween films. Balding, quietly-spoken, of slight build and possessed of piercing blue eyes ..Pleasence had the necessary physical attributes which make a great screen villain. In the course of his lengthy career, he relished playing the obsessed, the paranoid and the purely evil. One such character was Ernst Stavro Blofeld in a James Bond film. Another was the despicable Henrich Himmler in The Eagle Has Landed. He has plied his trade on both sides of the Atlantic will the fullest of professionalism. This quote by the man himself sums him up perfectly. " I'm a professional actor. I get the part. I read the script. If I decide to do it, I learn the lines. I have no theory about acting. For me, there is no Method. I just do it.
    I treat all film roles one way - very seriously.

Pleasence as Blofeld in You Only Live Twice.

Re: Your Favorite Actor

Pleasence was an actor who was very good at injecting an aura of quiet menace into a performance. Michael Reeves wanted him to play Matthew Hopkins in Witchfinder General but the studios insisted on Vincent Price. Much as I like Price, I think Pleasence would have done a better job.

Comment

Injecting quiet menace into a role. Agree. Pleasence would have been better than Price in Witchfinder General simply because he was a superior actor.. What films of his impressed you most?
      Last edited by Donald the Great; 29-11-2017, 09:57.

Comment

Pleasence is one of those actors who I can watch all day and improves anything he is in. Some of my favourite films of his would be: Dr Crippen, Fantastic Voyage, Night of the Generals, You only live Twice, Will Penny, Soldier Blue, Death Line, Innocent Bystanders, Tales that witness Madness, From beyond the Grave, The Mutations, The Uncanny, Halloween, Escape from New York, Halloween II, Cobra Mission, and his voiceover for The Spirit of Lonely Water.

Comment

FOR ME ITS

HE STARRED IN HORROR AND SCI FI HE WAS DR WHO IN THE FILMS HE WAS IN STAR WARS A NEW HOPE AND SO MANY OTHERS. SUCH A SAD DAY WHEN DIED.

HIS FRIENDSHIP WITH CHRISTOPHER LEE WAS VERY CLOSE INDEED.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
            Pleasence is one of those actors who I can watch all day and improves anything he is in. Some of my favourite films of his would be: Dr Crippen, Fantastic Voyage, Night of the Generals, You only live Twice, Will Penny, Soldier Blue, Death Line, Innocent Bystanders, Tales that witness Madness, From beyond the Grave, The Mutations, The Uncanny, Halloween, Escape from New York, Halloween II, Cobra Mission, and his voiceover for The Spirit of Lonely Water.
            The man's versatility stands out among that list of diverse films. Just trying to remember what role he played in Tales That Witness Madness. The Mutations and Death Line are two flicks I am sure he would have regretted making. He was outstanding as the alchoholic doctor in Aussie flick Wake In Fright.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
              FOR ME ITS

HE STARRED IN HORROR AND SCI FI HE WAS DR WHO IN THE FILMS HE WAS IN STAR WARS A NEW HOPE AND SO MANY OTHERS. SUCH A SAD DAY WHEN DIED.

HIS FRIENDSHIP WITH CHRISTOPHER LEE WAS VERY CLOSE INDEED.
              A very close second Darren. He proved with his wide body of work he was not just a horror actor. The Cush & Lee were outstanding together.

Comment

Re: Your Favourite Actor

The late Gene Wilder was brilliant - he was the straight man to himself, if you know what I mean.

He was the best Willy Wonka as far as I am concerned. He would have probably made a good Doctor Who as well.
                I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Ryan Reynolds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Holly Aird for me of Lost & 15-The Life & Death of Philip Knight as the social worker
                    sigpic
                    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Al Pacino - great in Scarface, Carlito's Way, Donnie Brasco and The Godfather. Not to mention he plays a very believable blind man in Scent of a Woman.

Comment

Clint
                        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Check out donald in a film called phenomena aka creepers he plays an entomologist which also starred jennifer connelly labyrinth.
                          Film directed by the legendary
                          dario argento.

Originally posted by donald the great View Post
                          mine happens to be the one and only donald pleasence. I have rather a soft spot for donald since he came to my country several decades ago to make the mystery wake in fright. since then i must have watched just about everything the man has made. From his star turn on the classic wartime escape drama the great escape to dr loomis in the halloween films. Balding, quietly-spoken, of slight build and possessed of piercing blue eyes ..pleasence had the necessary physical attributes which make a great screen villain. In the course of his lengthy career, he relished playing the obsessed, the paranoid and the purely evil. One such character was ernst stavro blofeld in a james bond film. Another was the despicable henrich himmler in the eagle has landed. He has plied his trade on both sides of the atlantic will the fullest of professionalism. This quote by the man himself sums him up perfectly. " i'm a professional actor. I get the part. I read the script. If i decide to do it, i learn the lines. I have no theory about acting. For me, there is no method. I just do it.
                          I treat all film roles one way - very seriously.

pleasence as blofeld in you only live twice.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

When it invloves Films, John Cleese takers some beating for me - yeah I admitt he can be o.t.t but he is amazing at any style of acting .... be it Comedy/Drama or Sadness or whatever I think

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                              When it invloves Films, John Cleese takers some beating for me - yeah I admitt he can be o.t.t but he is amazing at any style of acting .... be it Comedy/Drama or Sadness or whatever I think

80sChav
                              Probably the worst possible choice to play Q in the brosnan era bond films, i mean what were the producers thinking?.i mean you would'nt cast Rowan attkinson in a bon...oh wait, he was in never say never again, damn!
                              Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Working...
                              X