Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great Sporting Moment

Default Great Sporting Moment

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    I remember back in 1992 that I used to refer to anyone speeding on the roads as a "Nigel Mansell", as he was so iconic back then (and still is come to that) as a racing driver.
    Oddly enough ... he's a relative apparently , we obviously share the same surname so when he was in his prime ( which lasted a fair while ) we could never use our real name when ordering a taxi !!

Sadly never met him even though we are distantly related ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Default Re: Great Sporting Moment

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    World Cup '70 was also my first memory of that competition. My two abiding memories are the England vs Brazil game and that incredible save by Gordon Banks, and the QF loss to West Germany. I cried my eyes out afterward and even now I remember my mum saying "Never mind, there's always next time."
    My memories are more sketchy than that - I remember Brazil winning and that Jairzinho (billed as "Jair" after one goal) scored in every round
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Oddly enough ... he's a relative apparently , we obviously share the same surname so when he was in his prime ( which lasted a fair while ) we could never use our real name when ordering a taxi !!

Sadly never met him even though we are distantly related ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    A great claim to fame - I hope you have never been speeding on the road...
    I am a man (just in case anyone asks).

Oh, and I did get that Steve Davis autobiography as Christmas present after all...
    I am a man (just in case anyone asks).

Though it has - as an englishman to be the 19666 World Cup Win, whicch was sadly 11 years before my time, the other 2 greatest moments must go (in order) to:

1) My beloved Barnsley FC - doing a "Wimbledon" but of more epodemic proportions an landing the Premiership/Premier Leauge for 1997-98

2) The Italian 1990 World Cup along with Euro 96 (on home soil) where that was the time I was truly mesmoized by Football and hown England swept away every team of any standing before us (and again was cruley denied a place in a major Final - which if it was'nt for the Penalties ia m 1000% we'd have won that final (just like in 1990 with "that scene" of Gazza crying his eyes out! Again Gazza is another famous star who had his demons, but what a legend the guy is - he is just "so England through and through" and guy who'd do anything for anyone and the best English Footballer to walk these shores and any he has walked! On a sub-note I have ambitions of meeting him later in the Summer "at a meet and greet type event" and if I remember/have the guts I shall tell exactly what esteem and more i hold him in!! What a legend and an icon indeed!!

80sChav