Thread: Great Sporting Moment

Default Great Sporting Moment

Watching Dennis Lillee and Jeff Thomson tear into England during the one sided '74/5 Ashes is one of my most enduring sporting moments growing up. It was in fact my first ever time watching live cricket when my Dad took me to watch the SCG test of the series. This was a couple of years after Lillee's crippling back injury..but he was still quick. Thommo as we know was then the world's swiftest and most ferocious bowler. There is footage of the Brisbane Test on YT for those who want to be taken back to that time. One of Australia's greatest cricket triumphs against the Old Enemy.

Thommo in full flight!!

Default Re: Great Sporting Moment

The first one I can recall was the World Cup Final in 1970.
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

World Cup '70 was also my first memory of that competition. My two abiding memories are the England vs Brazil game and that incredible save by Gordon Banks, and the QF loss to West Germany. I cried my eyes out afterward and even now I remember my mum saying "Never mind, there's always next time."

Dennis Taylor winning the World Championship Snooker in 1985 against Steve (boring) Davis.
    One ball to decide the championship.

Alex Higgins winning in 1982 and bawling his eyes out, and his wife and baby coming to congratulate him.

1990...England losing to Germany on penalties in World Cup SF. Gazza getting booked and that iconic image of his tears realising he wouldn't be able to play in the final...that image was plastered on T-shirts within days.

Nigel Mansell generated a few memorable moments, both good & bad.

I can remember by brother going crazy watching the 1987 British GP, where Nigel Mansell won after having to make up time after pit stop with only a lap or 2 to go.

His tyre exploding in the 1986 Australian GP when he only had to finish 4th to be champion was repeated so many times, including the titles of The Think It's All Over
    The Trickster On The Roof

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    Nigel Mansell generated a few memorable moments, both good & bad.

I can remember by brother going crazy watching the 1987 British GP, where Nigel Mansell won after having to make up time after pit stop with only a lap or 2 to go.

His tyre exploding in the 1986 Australian GP when he only had to finish 4th to be champion was repeated so many times, including the titles of The Think It's All Over
    Gosh that reminds me of the 1992 British Grand Prix I went to see at Silverstone. I was supporting Senna, but Nigel Mansell won the race. The crowd went mad. Then some of the crowd got on to the track as there was a gap in tge barriers. I was young and keen, so I too ran on to the track. I waved at two unknown drivers who drove past me called Jonny Herbert and Michael Schumacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
    Dennis Taylor winning the World Championship Snooker in 1985 against Steve (boring) Davis.
    One ball to decide the championship.
    You mean Steve (Interesting) Davis - I hope to get a copy of his "Interesting" autobiography as a Christmas present this year!

Taylor can be seen waving his finger in an "I told you so" way, and as it was on BBC 2, it was said that he was waving his finger at Brian Barwick who was head of ITV Sport at the time who said that Taylor would never win the championship, and of course he proved him wrong. It was the highest audience for a BBC 2 programme - 18 million watched it so late, I believe? So many tired people the day after...
    I am a man (just in case anyone asks).

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
    Gosh that reminds me of the 1992 British Grand Prix I went to see at Silverstone. I was supporting Senna, but Nigel Mansell won the race. The crowd went mad. Then some of the crowd got on to the track as there was a gap in tge barriers. I was young and keen, so I too ran on to the track. I waved at two unknown drivers who drove past me called Jonny Herbert and Michael Schumacher.
    I remember back in 1992 that I used to refer to anyone speeding on the roads as a "Nigel Mansell", as he was so iconic back then (and still is come to that) as a racing driver.
    I am a man (just in case anyone asks).

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    I remember back in 1992 that I used to refer to anyone speeding on the roads as a "Nigel Mansell", as he was so iconic back then (and still is come to that) as a racing driver.
    A call a bus driver often on a route I use Lewis Hamilton because he goes too fast & weaves around a lot.
    The Trickster On The Roof