No announcement yet.

A Return To 70s Hammer/Amicus mayhem..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Return To 70s Hammer/Amicus mayhem..

1. Yes, our Joanie in Tales that Witness Madness from 1973. That story was, indeed, silly, though I do quite like the one about the boy and his imaginary tiger.

2. No, not a Frankenstein. Hint: Joanna Lumley's character was featured in a film from the previous year where she was played by a different actress.

3. Yes, Theatre of Blood. Price really hammed it up in this one and I have to admit that the manner of Robert Morley's character's death disturbed me somewhat.

4. Yes, The Sorcerers with the great Boris Karloff. I am glad he managed to make this one and Targets at the end of his career to show just how good he was to 60s audiences.

5. No, not Quatermass. Hint: Though a Hammer, the film has a connection to several of the later Carry Ons.

6. Yes, Twisted Nerve. I saw it only once on British TV in the 70s and am unclear if it has been screened since. The makers were forced to include a disclaimer that there was no link between Down Syndrome and anti-social behaviour.

Comment

h
      Here are some extra clues for 2) and 5)

2. It was Hammer's last Dracula film with Christopher Lee.

5. The Carry On connection is Valerie Leon. It is based on a Bram Stoker tale--but not Dracula.

Comment

2: The disappointing Satanic Rites of Dracula.

5: Valerie Leon looked good but could not act so would have to have been a B pic. Not the one about a White Worm?

Comment

For you.

1:
          Name the film.

2: Amicus production based on Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

3: ( synopsis) A collector comes into possession of a body part of the Marquis de Sade and learns it is possessed by an evil spirit. Name the film.

4: Name the two male support leads of above film.

5: (synopsis) Wilbur Gray, a horror writer, has stumbled upon a terrible secret, that cats are supernatural creatures who really call the shots. Name the film and one of its stars.

6: Male and female leads of Vault Of Horror episode The Neat Job.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
            2: The disappointing Satanic Rites of Dracula.

5: Valerie Leon looked good but could not act so would have to have been a B pic. Not the one about a White Worm?

2. Yes. I do have a soft spot for it as it is the only Hammer horror I managed to see on the big screen, on a double bill with Creatures the World Forgot.

5. Not Lair of the White Worm. The book was Jewel of the Seven Stars. It was a Hammer from 1971 and "Tomb" was in the title.

Comment

For you.

1:
              Name the film.

2: Amicus production based on Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

3: ( synopsis) A collector comes into possession of a body part of the Marquis de Sade and learns it is possessed by an evil spirit. Name the film.

4: Name the two male support leads of above film.

5: (synopsis) Wilbur Gray, a horror writer, has stumbled upon a terrible secret, that cats are supernatural creatures who really call the shots. Name the film and one of its stars.

6: Male and female leads of Vault Of Horror episode The Neat Job.

1. I'll get back to you on this one.

2. I, Monster.

3. The Skull. Used to turn up regularly late friday nights on BBC or ITV.

4. Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.

5. The Uncanny. Ray Milland. Lots of flying moggies in the first story .

6. Terry-Thomas and Glynis Johns.

Comment

1. That is from the 'Vampire' story in Dr Terror's House of Horrors. I had to check as I sometimes confuse the stories with those in Torture Garden.

Comment

Well done. Only the one wrong. I asked for support actors in Q4. Too easy with The Cush and Lee.

Comment

Arg! Okay...Patrick Wymark and Nigel Green (best screen Sexton Blake)

Comment

The answer to the Valerie Leon question was Blood from the Mummy's Tomb.

Okay, here are a few...not all may be Hammer/Amicus...

1. In which horror sequel from the 70s did Vincent Price sing 'Over the Rainbow'?

2. Synopsis: Two elderly sisters lock their brother up to prevent him being called up for WWII. 30 years later, and quite mad, he finds a way out and starts killing people. What was the film?

3. Name the actor who played Dracula for Hammer once only.

4. Which actor who played Dr. Who became a vampire in a horror anthology?

5. Which actress, who was linked to the Prince of Wales for a while, played a babysitter menaced by a maniac in a 70s British production?

6. Who links Witchfinder General and an ITC TV series from the 70s?

7. Which famous ageing Hollywood actress played a scientist in a film in which a strange underground half man/half ape is discovered.

Comment

1. Dr. Phibes Rises Again?

5. Susan George?

Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                          1. Dr. Phibes Rises Again?

5. Susan George?

1. Correct. Perhaps not as good as The Abominable Dr Phibes, but still quirky and enjoyable.

5. Correct. Susan George is always good to watch and Fright was an effective little chiller.

Comment

Yours are getting decidely tuffer. Please refrain from linking horror themes with private lives as I am then totally lost. I will need a big think on these.

1: I never liked Vincent Price so no idea on 1. take a guess. One of the Dr Phibes films.

2: Beast in the Cellar with the wonderful Beryl Reid and Flora Robson.

4: John Pertwee?

Will have a nut over the others.

Comment

Yours are getting decidely tuffer. Please refrain from linking horror themes with private lives as I am then totally lost. I will need a big think on these.

1: I never liked Vincent Price so no idea on 1. take a guess. One of the Dr Phibes films.

2: Beast in the Cellar with the wonderful Beryl Reid and Flora Robson.

4: John Pertwee?

Will have a nut over the others.

1. Yes, it was the second Dr Phibes film, Dr Phibes Rises Again. I think Price was at his best when he could really let himself go, as in Theatre of Blood.

2. Yes. A neglected film that turned up fairly regularly in ATV's Appointment with Fear slot, friday nights after News at Ten.

4. Yes. It was 'The Cloak' story from The house that dripped Blood.

5. Another poster got this one, but if you don't want to take a peek at the previous page, then a hint is that Dennis Waterman was also in it, as was George ~Cole, so a strong Minder link there, and the title was a single word.

3. Christopher Lee played Dracula for most Hammer Dracula films, but the actor I am looking for played him once for them. As Dracula, he was actually only in the start and end of the film. The Cush was also in it as Van Helsing and it was really one of Hammer's last gasps before their demise, and it was a co-production with a Hong Kong film company.

Comment

6. Hint: He's the romantic lead in Witchfinder General.

7. Hint: Mommie Dearest.

Comment

Working...
                                X