No announcement yet.

A Return To 70s Hammer/Amicus mayhem..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Return To 70s Hammer/Amicus mayhem..

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
    1: Is that the one where he falls thru the ice and drowns?

6: Anton Levey wrote the Satanic Bible. Was it him?

1. Yes. Dracula ends up on the ice of the moat surrounding his castle. Father Sandor shoots at the ice and it breaks up, plunging Dracula into the icy water.

6. No. The author was Dennis Wheatley. He was also the source for Hammer's To the Devil, a Daughter and The Lost Continent.

7. The two real-life bodystealers in Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde were Burke and Hare, although as Sister Hyde is set in the 1880s and Burke and Hare committed their crimes in the 1820s, the writers took a sizeable poetic licence in their inclusion.

Comment

1. Mocata played by Charles Gray.

3. Diana Dors.

4. That was Dean Jagger in X the Unknown.

2. and 5. to follow......

Comment

5. I think that is Ian Hendry and his segment was Reflection of Death. A really good actor was Mr Hendry and we lost him far too soon.

2. Are you referring to the two Dick Barton films released by Hammer in the 40s, Dick Barton Special Agent and Dick Barton Strikes Back?

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
          5. I think that is Ian Hendry and his segment was Reflection of Death. A really good actor was Mr Hendry and we lost him far too soon.

2. Are you referring to the two Dick Barton films released by Hammer in the 40s, Dick Barton Special Agent and Dick Barton Strikes Back?
          I am staffslad..well done. Yes agree on Hendry. Was he not the first John Steed in Avengers? Quite a while since I watched Sister Hyde.

Comment

I await your next quiz.
            Meanwhile name this actress.

Comment

I await your next quiz.
              Meanwhile name this actress.

I think it is Ingrid Pitt.

Ian Hendry played David Keel in early episodes of The Avengers when Steed was a secondary character. Gradually, Steed's importance increased until the Keel character was dropped and with it Hendry's imvolvement in the show.

Ok, I am on the case with more questions .

Comment

1. Synopsis: While the rest of Britain is in the middle of winter, a small island off the coast is bakingly hot. Strange deaths begin to occur and a mysterious scientist suspects it could all have an explanation that is out of this world. Name the film.

2. In which Hammer vampire film does a man drive a spade through a coffin at a funeral in the pre-titles sequence?

3. Who played Baron Meinster in Brides of Dracula?

4. In Asylum, who played the man who chopped up his wife and put her in a chest freezer in one segment?

5. In At the Earth's Core, which actor played Peter Cushing's companion on their journey into the Earth's interior?

6. In Dracula AD1972 and Satanic Rites of Dracula there were 4 main recurring characters i.e. who were in both. Dracula, Van Helsing and Jessica Ban Helsing were 3 of them, but who was the fourth? Hint: he got brought into the case by M.I.5.

7. In One Million Years BC, what was the name of Raquel Welch's character?

8. Which very famous Hollywood actress, famous for playing Baby Jane, starred in one of Hammer's 'mini Hitchcocks' and what was the title?

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                  I think it is Ingrid Pitt.

Ian Hendry played David Keel in early episodes of The Avengers when Steed was a secondary character. Gradually, Steed's importance increased until the Keel character was dropped and with it Hendry's imvolvement in the show.

Ok, I am on the case with more questions .
                  Indeed it is Ingrid Pitt.

Comment

1: It has two titles Night Of the Big Heat (Brit) and Island of the Burning Damned (US). Did you enjoy this staffslad? I did great cast. Lee, Cushing, Patrick Allen.

2 & 3: Will have a think.

4: One of my fave Brit actors.. Richard Todd.

5: American stature Doug McClure.

6: There is a secret service agent named Torrence in Satanic Rites.

7:The great Bette Davis.

8: Sounds like Another Man's Poison (1951)

Comment

1: It has two titles Night Of the Big Heat (Brit) and Island of the Burning Damned (US). Did you enjoy this staffslad? I did great cast. Lee, Cushing, Patrick Allen.

2 & 3: Will have a think.

4: One of my fave Brit actors.. Richard Todd.

5: American stature Doug McClure.

6: There is a secret service agent named Torrence in Satanic Rites.

7:The great Bette Davis.

8: Sounds like Another Man's Poison (1951)

1. Correct. It's a good film, made by the same company as Island of Terror, and was actually based on a novel in which the aliens were giant spiders rather than the glowing blobs of the film--great cast, though the Cush isn't in it quite enough for my tastes .

4. Correct. Richard Todd--didn't he play Guy Gibson in The Dambusters?

5. Correct. Great fun with Caroline Munro looking yummy. The Cush seems like he had a great time making this film from his performance.

6. The agent is Torrance, but it is the person he brings into the affair that I was after. William Franklin--Torrance--played Sexton Blake in a series of radio dramas for the BBC in 1967.

7. No, this one is about the name of Raquel Welch in One Million Years BC, but Bette Davis right for 8.

8. Correct, it's Bette Davis. But I was looking for a title from Hammer's psychological horrors from the 1960s. The title is actually a job profession. Bette Davis also starred in The Anniversary for Hammer in 1968 but that was really a drama with no horror elements.

Good going, Donald.

Comment

Never watched One Million Years BC.

Yes Todd did play Guy Gibson.

Will get back to you on the others soon staffslad.

Comment

The Nanny of course. Hitchcockian?

Comment

The Nanny of course. Hitchcockian?

Yes, it was The Nanny. The description of 'mini Hitchcocks' is debatable but that is what they have come to be known as over the years. Others would include Maniac and Paranoiac. The Nanny also fits into the genre of 'crazy old ladies' popular after Baby Jane was released.

You have to see One Million Years BC, Donald. The SFX are excellent and Raquel Welch in her fur bikini is worth admission price alone.

Comment

Indeed it is Ingrid Pitt.
                              Polish-born, according to Eggheads...
                              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                                Polish-born, according to Eggheads...

She had a very eventful life, being an inmate in a concentration camp and later fleeing from behind the iron curtain.

Comment

Working...
                                X