No announcement yet.

A Return To 70s Hammer/Amicus mayhem..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Return To 70s Hammer/Amicus mayhem..

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
    Our newbie not posting staffslad.

1: synopsis: Elderly prison matrons take sadistic pleasure in torturing the female convicts who stray from their strict moral standards.

2:
    Susan George and Barry Evans star in a 70s thriller involving kidnapping and blackmail.

3: synopsis: An English couple take in a pregnant woman who disappears shortly after giving birth. They raise the baby girl as their own.

4:
    Name the actress who plays the pregnant woman.

5: 85 sci fi /horror with Patrick Stewart in the lead.

6:
    These four horror greats appeared in what 80s film.

1. House of Whipcord

2. Die Screaming, Marianne.

3. The Godsend.

4. Angela Pleasance.

5. Lifeforce.

6. House of the Long Shadows.

Comment

A few notes...

My local cinema had A4 reproductions of Pete Walker film posters mounted on a wall that you had to walk past to enter the theatre.

Lifeforce was great. What's the betting that when we finally contact aliens they won't be hot chicks who walk around starkers all the time.

House of the Long Shadows to my chagrin I have seen only once, rented from a video shop around 1985. It was good to see such greats working together and I really need to get a copy of this film for my collection.

Well, anything with Susan George in it is worth watching if only for the pleasure of seeing her. Barry Evans, I can't help associating with very low rent smutty comedies and Mind your Language. We lost him far too soon. He was also in some of the 'Doctor' comedy TV series in the 70s.

The Godsend I always think of as a British take on The Bad Seed. Again, I have seen this one only once.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
        1. House of Whipcord

2. Die Screaming, Marianne.

3. The Godsend.

4. Angela Pleasance.

5. Lifeforce.

6. House of the Long Shadows.
        No bother for you staffslad. I notioned 3,4,5 may stump you a little. yes mostly Pete Walker films.

Comment

The Godsend question was tricky, Donald. Lifeforce was a bit easier as I have seen it a fair few times over the years. I have to say that I am not a big fan of most of Pete Walker's films from the 70s. For me, they are a tad too political at times, though he did bring Cushing, Price, Lee and Carradine together, for which he should be applauded, and it is a shame House of the Long Shadows seems to be his last film to date. I am sure he had plenty to offer in the 80s and 90s so I have no idea why he doesn't seem to have made any films since House.

Comment

My turn again. I will post some more questions later today, but anyone else who also would like to post questions and/or answer them is very welcome.

Comment

Okay, here are somem ore:

1. In which 70s film did a Victorian scientist experiment with capturing the souls of those on the point of death and thereby give them immortality. Hint: the actor once played Sherlock Holmes.

2. In Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter, what did Professor Grost bury in boxes in order to detect if a vampire had passed by?

3. Synopsis: A couple find a badly injured man on the London Underground. After going for help, the man vanishes and they investigate what is going on, and find it began with a cave-in many decades before. Hint: Christopher Lee turns up in a cameo. What was the film?

4. In which film was Judy Geeson's character forcibly impregnated by an alien and then goes on a murderous rampage against her space exploration team fellow members?

5. Synopsis: A deranged museum worker reactivates a golem and uses it to kill his enemies. The Army become involved in trying to stop the golem. What was the film?

6. Who played the museum worker and which actress played his love interest--though the infatuation was purely one-sided.

Comment

1: The Asphyx.

2: ???

3: Death Line. If so something Donald the Great would have regretted doing.

4: Inseminoid

5: The Curse of the Golem. Or It.

6: Roddy McDowell. Have to think about the girl. Hint would be useful as would one for Captain Kronos as it is decades since I last saw that. A good selection staffslad.

Comment

Well done, Donald. The Asphyx and It! are not often shown anymore. It! impressed me mightily when I first saw it when I was about 11, especially when the golem gets nuked. Inseminoid is, of course, a Norman J Warren Alien clone, with a far smaller budget and more sleaze. Death Line has a slightly over-the-top Donald Pleasance as the detective hunting the Underground cannibal, and blink and you'll miss Christopher Lee. This one also has that air of sleaze that British films of the late 60s/early 70s seemed to naturally possess.

A hint for Captain Kronos is that Grost buried things that were dead but came to life when a vampire passed by.

A hint for the It! actress is that she turned up in a Tigon film that we have both previously said was very poor in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                    Well done, Donald. The Asphyx and It! are not often shown anymore. It! impressed me mightily when I first saw it when I was about 11, especially when the golem gets nuked. Inseminoid is, of course, a Norman J Warren Alien clone, with a far smaller budget and more sleaze. Death Line has a slightly over-the-top Donald Pleasance as the detective hunting the Underground cannibal, and blink and you'll miss Christopher Lee. This one also has that air of sleaze that British films of the late 60s/early 70s seemed to naturally possess.

A hint for Captain Kronos is that Grost buried things that were dead but came to life when a vampire passed by.

A hint for the It! actress is that she turned up in a Tigon film that we have both previously said was very poor in this thread.
                    Busy for now staffslad. get back to you on Sunday. Have a good weekend.

Comment

2: zombies?

6: That would be the delicious Jill Haworth. How did I do staffslad. One for you coming up.

Comment

Its Roddy McDowall starred in another later Brit film. name it.

His female co star was whom?

synopsis:A hack writer of horror stories moves into the house with his wife and is haunted by visions of the murderous, psychopathic central character of his latest novel. Name the Amicus film and segment.

Hollywood star Joan Fontaine starred in a 1966 Brit film. Name it.

How does the creature perish in The Horror of Frankenstein (1970)

Who played the mad Doctor..

Synopsis: What 70s film? A couple abduct various passer-byes, both male and female, to hold them captive at their rural manor in the English countryside.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
                          2: zombies?

6: That would be the delicious Jill Haworth. How did I do staffslad. One for you coming up.

It was indeed Jill Haworth. The thing Professor Grost buried in Captain Kronos were dead toads. If a vampire passes by, the toad would return to life, thereby alerting Kronos and Grost to the presence of a vampire.

Comment

Okay, Donald, I am on the case with your questions...

Comment

I will get back to you on the Roddy McDowall film.

The Amicus film was The House that Dripped Blood and it was segment 1, Method for Murder with wonderful character actor Denholm Elliott.

Joan Fontaine graced Hammer's The Witches.

In Horror of Frankenstein, the creature was destroyed by acid. Ralph Bates played Frankenstein.

The synopsis is tricky. I initially thought of House of Whipcord, but that has already come up in the quizzes, so I am going to go for Vampyres.

Comment

Hi staffslad. Toads.. would never have guessed that. Vampyres it is . I too agree about Denholm Elliot.. enjoyed everything he ever did. So i may have stumped you finally with the McDowall film. I rewatched it with the wife only a week ago. Is in the same vein as an American 60s classic.. only creepier. Now there is a big hint.

Comment

Working...
                                X