No announcement yet.

A Return To 70s Hammer/Amicus mayhem..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Return To 70s Hammer/Amicus mayhem..

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
    New ones.....

1: How did the count die in the first ever Hammer Dracula.

2: schlocky 60s b&w witchcraft film.

3: Name the male lead ..

4: Who played Mrs Von Sturm in The Psychopath (66)

5: synopsis: From the opening scenes - where a man is chased by something through a spooky dark wood - to the shock ending on the railway station, this film is a classic in every sense of the word. Name the film.

Okay, Donald, I have my thinking cap on and will get back to you later....

Comment

Here are the answers to the quiz I posted...

1. Shatter. It is rarely screened nowadays, in fact I think I have seen it only once.

2. Yes, The Frozen Dead with Dana Andrews.

3. At the end of Dracula Prince of Darkness, the Count ends up under the ice of his castle moat. At the beginning of Dracula has Risen from the Grave, 2 priests are going to the castle to pin a big cross to the door. One slips, bangs his head and blood from the wound seeps through the ice and into Dracula's mouth, resurrecting him.

4. It was Wendy Padbury, who previously played Zoe, a companion to Patrick Troughton's Doctor.

6. Yes, The Awakening and Charlton Heston. It was far inferior to Hammer's version imo.

Here are my answers to your quiz....

1. He was destroyed by sunlight when Van Helsing tore down some curtains.

2. Tricky, this one. There are a couple it could be. I will go for Night of the Eagle aka Burn, Witch, Burn, based on Fritz Leiber's novel, Conjure Wife.

3. If I got 2. right then it is Jason King himself, Peter Wyngarde.

4. Margaret Johnston. I remember being impressed with The Psychopath when ATV showed it one friday night in the early/mid 70s.

5. I suspect this is Night of the Demon aka Curse of the Demon, based on Casting the Runes by M.R. James, whose ghost stories are among the finest ever written and thoroughly recommended.

Comment

You nailed em all staffslad..exceptional as I figured one or two may stump you. Margaret Johnston was Australian.. I never knew that till I came across her bio. Post another and I will try to get back before Sunday. Enjoy weekend.

Comment

I wasn't absolutely sure about Night of the Eagle, as there was another that kind of fitted the bill. No, I didn't realise Margaret Johnston was from Australia either. She was a good actress.

Here are some more...

1. In Village of the Damned, what does George Sanders' character imagine in his mind's eye to prevent the children from reading his mind and discovering there is a bomb in his briefcase?

2. In The Innocents, what were the names of the two children that Deborah Kerr's character was governess to--I'm looking for character names.

3. What was the title of the last 'fly' film in the original series, filmed in the UK in the 60s?

3. Synopsis: An ageing East European noblewoman discovers that a certain body fluid restores her beauty, but its effect is temporary and she needs to begin killing to secure a supply. What was the film?

4. In Satanic Rites of Dracula, how did the Count meet his end?

5. In Frankenstein Created Woman, who played Christina, the disfigured daughter of the innkeeper?

6. In Tales from the Crypt, what was the name of Peter Cushing's character?

Good luck, mate, and have a good weekend. Thankfully the beast is firmly back in its cage now, so hopefully our weather will be on the up from now on.

Comment

1: a brick wall.

2: Miles & Flora. My fave all time ghostie.

4: Fire if I recall.

6:That was the old man who love kids and dogs? Will need a think.

You typed two question 3s? Hated the fly films with the annoying Vincent Price. Frankenstein films are not my favs so characters or scenes do not remain in my mind. Will pass on that one too. Get back to you on the others asap staffslad. Yes the Beast has gone according to my friend Nugs but was replaced by the Pest from the West.

Comment

1: a brick wall.

2: Miles & Flora. My fave all time ghostie.

4: Fire if I recall.

6:That was the old man who love kids and dogs? Will need a think.

You typed two question 3s? Hated the fly films with the annoying Vincent Price. Frankenstein films are not my favs so characters or scenes do not remain in my mind. Will pass on that one too. Get back to you on the others asap staffslad. Yes the Beast has gone according to my friend Nugs but was replaced by the Pest from the West.

1. Yes, the wall crumbling as the children probe Sanders' mind is striking.

2. Yes, and agreed it is probably the best ghost film, along with The Haunting.

3. Curse of the Fly, but no Price this time, though Carole Gray running through the woods in her undies is ample compensation.

4. Not fire, but there is a fire that destroys Dracula's headquarters.

5. It was Susan Denberg. There is a famous publicity shot of the Cush carrying Miss Denberg in her undies. I doubt if the Cush was entirely happy about having to do that as he was chivalrous to a fault.

6. That's the one I am looking for--Cushing won an award for his portrayal.

The Pest from the West? I must have missed that one . The trouble is that our media cry wolf about so many weather stories that when something serious is actually going to happen, no one takes them seriously.

Comment

Remember now how the Count dies. Got stuck in the deadly bush from which Jesus crown of thorns were made. Very original about the only thing in this fizzer.

The Cush character in TFTC was Grimswade or Grimsmead.. something like that.

3. Synopsis: An ageing East European noblewoman discovers that a certain body fluid restores her beauty, but its effect is temporary and she needs to begin killing to secure a supply. What was the film? Did you reference this one? Do not recall seeing this. Sounds interesting.

Comment

New ones.
                  1: synopsis. The chasee eventually bursts from the woods onto the lawn of a stately home, where a group of people are enjoying afternoon tea. He approaches them and before he can utter a word he is has been shot dead. Name the film.

2: Why was the Beast kept In The Cellar.

3: Name the two female stars.

4:Rocker Sting featured in an 80s Hammer like film. name it.

5:Name the film from pic.

Good luck staffslad. How was your weekend. I laid more grass and netted my fruit trees. So much fun.
                  Last edited by Donald the Great; 12-03-2018, 00:43.

Comment

Remember now how the Count dies. Got stuck in the deadly bush from which Jesus crown of thorns were made. Very original about the only thing in this fizzer.

The Cush character in TFTC was Grimswade or Grimsmead.. something like that.

3. Synopsis: An ageing East European noblewoman discovers that a certain body fluid restores her beauty, but its effect is temporary and she needs to begin killing to secure a supply. What was the film? Did you reference this one? Do not recall seeing this. Sounds interesting.

Yes, Dracula is lured into the hawthorn bushes and then Van Helsing stakes him using a broken fence post.

In Tales from the Crypt, the Cush's character is Grimsdyke.

The film about the East European noblewoman is Countess Dracula, based loosely on Elizabeth Bathory, who used her high position in the 16th century to torture girls and bathe in their blood, and is alleged to have had over 600 girls killed. Ingrid Pitt is the star of Countess Dracula and it was made by Hammer.

Comment

I'll get on the case answering your quiz, Donald. My weekend was spent trying to sort out my wife's car with no success--have to get it scanned to see what the computer says is causing the problem.

Comment

New ones.
                        1: synopsis. The chasee eventually bursts from the woods onto the lawn of a stately home, where a group of people are enjoying afternoon tea. He approaches them and before he can utter a word he is has been shot dead. Name the film.

2: Why was the Beast kept In The Cellar.

3: Name the two female stars.

4:Rocker Sting featured in an 80s Hammer like film. name it.

5:Name the film from pic.

Good luck staffslad. How was your weekend. I laid more grass and netted my fruit trees. So much fun.

Here are my answers...

1. I think it is The Beast must Die.

2. Two old ladies imprison their brother in their cellar at the start of WWII to prevent him from being conscripted into the armed forces. If I remember correctly, their father had been conscripted in WWI and had been killed or injured psychologically and they are anxious their brother does not suffer the same fate. Unfortunately, they fail to free him when the war ends and he gradually goes insane.

3. Beryl Reid and Dame Flora Robson.

4. That would be The Bride.

5. Circus of Horrors I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                          Yes, Dracula is lured into the hawthorn bushes and then Van Helsing stakes him using a broken fence post.

In Tales from the Crypt, the Cush's character is Grimsdyke.

The film about the East European noblewoman is Countess Dracula, based loosely on Elizabeth Bathory, who used her high position in the 16th century to torture girls and bathe in their blood, and is alleged to have had over 600 girls killed. Ingrid Pitt is the star of Countess Dracula and it was made by Hammer.
                          I misread your clues. Of course Countess Dracula with Ingrid Pitt. hawthorn bush did not know precise name. Forgot about the staking part. Grimsdyke.. I was half correct staffslad.

Comment

2. Two old ladies imprison their brother in their cellar at the start of WWII to prevent him from being conscripted into the armed forces. If I remember correctly, their father had been conscripted in WWI and had been killed or injured psychologically and they are anxious their brother does not suffer the same fate. Unfortunately, they fail to free him when the war ends and he gradually goes insane.

Nothing wrong with these two old dears.. nothing that a labotomy would not fix.

Comment

Nothing wrong with these two old dears.. nothing that a labotomy would not fix.

Absolutely correct, Donald, if they hadn't been looking after their brother so diligently, they'd probably have become politicians.

Okay, look out for another quiz later today.

Comment

Here are some more...

1. In Hands of the Ripper, who played Anna, Jack the Ripper's daughter?

2. In Dracula has Risen from the Grave, how was the Count destroyed?

3. Synopsis: A man and his girlfriend plot to scare the man's grandmother to death by trying to convince her that a youth revolution is taking place and old people are being killed. Name the film.

4. In Twins of Evil, what was the name of the informal group headed by Peter Cushing's character that hunted down witches?

5. In The Wicker Man, what was the name of Christopher Lee's character?

6. In An American Werewolf in London, what was the name of the pub from which David and his friend were expelled at the start of the film?

Comment

Working...
                                X