No announcement yet.

A Return To 70s Hammer/Amicus mayhem..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Return To 70s Hammer/Amicus mayhem..

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
    Hi staffslad. Toads.. would never have guessed that. Vampyres it is . I too agree about Denholm Elliot.. enjoyed everything he ever did. So i may have stumped you finally with the McDowall film. I rewatched it with the wife only a week ago. Is in the same vein as an American 60s classic.. only creepier. Now there is a big hint.

I think it is The Legend of Hell House. Leading lady? There were two...Pamela Franklin and Gayle Hunnicut, but I think you mean Pamela Franklin. Interestingly, Richard Matheson envisaged Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor playing the McDowall/Franklin roles, and Rod Steiger and Claire Bloom playing the parapsychologists, but the budget wouldn't permit it.

Comment

The American classic you referred to was I think Robert Wise's The Haunting. It was actually filmed in the UK, with exterior scenes shot at Ettington Park, interiors being sets. Not sure if it still is, but Ettington Park was a hotel, so you could actually stay in Hill House...

Okay, my turn...I'll come up with some more.

Comment

Okay, here are some more.

1. Synopsis: A motorcycle gang make a pact with the devil so that when they kill themselves, they are resurrected as the living dead. What was the film?

2. Which famous easy-listening singer starred in a Pete Walker film from the 70s?

3. In An American Werewolf in London, which song was playing on the soundtrack as we see David transform into a werewolf in his girlfriend's home? Hint: CCR

4. Who played David's girlfriend in the above film?

5. Synopsis: A killer is murdering people who are dressed as Santa Claus in 80s London. What is the film?

6. The husband of a famous British blonde bombshell starred in the above film. Who was she? Hint: She starred in a very well regarded Amicus anthology segment, which has come up in earlier quiz questions.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
          I think it is The Legend of Hell House. Leading lady? There were two...Pamela Franklin and Gayle Hunnicut, but I think you mean Pamela Franklin. Interestingly, Richard Matheson envisaged Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor playing the McDowall/Franklin roles, and Rod Steiger and Claire Bloom playing the parapsychologists, but the budget wouldn't permit it.
          Pretty good film, amazing book!!!
          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
            Pretty good film, amazing book!!!

Agreed on both points. Hell House is probably my favourite of Matheson's novels.

Comment

Hi staffslad. Never knew that. Steiger and Bloom as the parapsycs yes.. not so sure about Burton and Taylor. Reckon McDowall and Franklin did a good job. I knew about the Ettington Park Hotel...

Comment

1: the silly Psychomania. Sorry if that offends those that say it is a cult classic.

2: Jack Jones. Pity he could not act as well as he sung.

3: I will go with Bad Moon Rising as the obvious choice even tho I do not recall the exact number.

4: The delicious and often unclad Jenny Agutter.

5: Dont Open Till Christmas (or something like that) will have a further think.

6:Blonde bombshell? Diana Dors?

How did I go staffslad.

Comment

You've got the lot. Well done, Donald.

Agreed that Psychomania is silly, but I can't help liking it. This may have been George Sanders last film before his suicide.

Jack Jones in a Pete Walker film seems so surreal. He's not much of an actor and I wonder why he agreed to be in it.

Jenny Agutter was one of the actresses I watched out for in my teenage years, particularly in Walkabout, and if you've seen it, you'll understand why...

Alan Lake was in Don't open till Christmas and he was the husband of Diana Dors. After Her death the poor guy couldn't cope and killed himself a few months later...very sad.

I think McDowall and Franklin did a good job in Hell House. With Burton and Taylor, the focus would have been on them and would have distracted from the story, but it would have been interesting watching Claire Bloom coming on to Richard Burton, like Hunnicutt had to do to McDowall. And 40 something Liz Taylor as a virgin giving herself to a ghost? Franklin is much more believeable in that role.

Comment

I am a huge fan of Psychomania and even I can see how silly it is!
                    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                      I am a huge fan of Psychomania and even I can see how silly it is!

I love the bit where Tom is buried astride his motorcycle, then bursts out of his grave. It has that early 70s craziness that we just don't see in films anymore. Also a very decent cast, though why George Sanders agreed to be in it I can't fathom, but that voice of his is like warm honey...

Comment

I love the bit where Tom is buried astride his motorcycle, then bursts out of his grave. It has that early 70s craziness that we just don't see in films anymore. Also a very decent cast, though why George Sanders agreed to be in it I can't fathom, but that voice of his is like warm honey...
                        I enjoyed George Sanders work too staffslad. Never knew he took his own life. Do you have any for me?

Comment

Apparently, Sanders was suffering from dementia, depression and other ailments when he took his life. He left a signed suicide note so there's no doubt it was intentional.

Okay, Donald, I shall come up with some more and post them later today.

Comment

Okay, here they are...

1. Synopsis: Two English nurses are on a cycling holiday in rural France. They argue and split up, whereupon one disappears and the other is stalked by a mysterious man. What is the film and which well known actresses played the nurses?

2. Marianne Faithfull starred in a 70s supernatural thriller set in a country house. What was the film?

3. In which 80s sci-fi horror film was a character menaced by a person-sized Action Man? Action Man is the UK equivalent of GI Joe.

4. What pseudonym did Dracula use to hide his true identity in Satanic Rites of Dracula?

5. A presenter of a popular 70s UK children's TV magazine type show was also a Hammer leading lady also in the 70s. Who is she? Hint: One for sorrow, two for joy......

6. Vincent Price played Matthew Hopkins in Witchfinder General, but who did director Michael Reeves actually want for the role? Hint: He has been mentioned on this thread several times previously.

Comment

1: Pamela Franklin & Michelle Doltrice play the girls. Need to have a think about the title.

2: ????? need a think on this.

3: No idea. Give up.

4: Sir something or other.

5: I have never seen any UK childrens shows. So a wild guess. The elfin Madeline Smith.

6: The Cush.

sorry for the poor effort staffslad.

Comment

1. Spot on with the actresses. The film was inferiorly remade a while ago and moved setting to South America I believe.

2. This one is maybe a little less known and is actually a rather odd little film.

3. I'll give a hint. It was a short one word title and isn't actually a proper word and begins with 'X'

4. No, no title like sir. It was 2 initials and a surname and all 3 were the same letter. I mean the initials were the same and surname began with same letter as initials.

5. Okay...she starred in only one Hammer and it was a Dracula. One of her co-stars was Dennis Waterman of Sweeney and Minder fame.

6. Not the Cush. He appears with his daughter in a very good Amicus segment. A certain blonde bombshell is also present in the segment.

Comment

Working...
                                X